Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of thread do you use for machine applique?

I'm going to try machine applique and was wondering if I could use regular sewing machine thread or do I need to use embroidery thread? Any tips would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I use regular sewing thread.

I use whatever thread I think will look best.

Blog Entries
    I use both, it depends on how much I want the stitching to show up :D:D:D

I haven't tried because it's very expensive but I heard that silk almost dissappears, I do use it for hand applique and love it

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    I use whatever thread I think will look best.
    Me too.

The one I use the most is Invisable thread in either the clear or smoke color.

It depends on what type of applique I'm doing and if I want the stitching to show or not.

If I'm doing a decorative stitch like blanket stitch, I'll use a heavier cotton thread so it shows up more. For a satin stitch, I want the threads to lie nicely next to one another, so then I might use a shiny polyester like Isacord.

If I'm doing the invisible applique using a blind hem stitch, I may use a finer polyester like Sew Fine or Bottom Line, or if I don't want to change thread colors then a clear polyester thread like Monopoly.

Not a very definitive answer, was it??? LOL

No police here. I use whatever looks good and doesn't breAk. Regular thread, maxi lock, embroidery thread. Some have even used a needle with a huge eye and a couple strands of floss (not myself but I've seen and heard of it)

I have used both Embroidery and regular. It is cheaper to use regular and I don't have to set up my thread differently.

Banned
    I use silk for hand applique and regular threads that match in color the background fabris, for machine applique.

Blog Entries
    I use Guttermanns Hand Quilting Thread to do a blanket or buttonhole stitch. If I am doing a satin stitch I use Sulky or Medera Rayon or Isofil.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I haven't machine appliqued in awhile but I always used regular thread and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    I have used both Embroidery and regular. It is cheaper to use regular and I don't have to set up my thread differently.
    I too use either Embroidery or regular. My driving factor is if it is a blanket stitch I use the regular - but if i am using a satin stitch then I use the embroidery thread.

Regular cotton thread works fine in my machine, and I have also had good luck with rayon. It has a nice shiny look. Use whatever works and looks good!

If I'm doing a blanket stitch and I want it to look "hand done" I use Sulky 12 wt black cotton thread and use my heirloom stitch menu on my machine and it will look like you did it by hand with embroidery floss. The blanket stitch on the heirloom menu on my machine goes over every stitch twice. I have a Viking Diamond but I'm sure all the newer machines have a stitch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiR
    It depends on what type of applique I'm doing and if I want the stitching to show or not.

If I'm doing a decorative stitch like blanket stitch, I'll use a heavier cotton thread so it shows up more. For a satin stitch, I want the threads to lie nicely next to one another, so then I might use a shiny polyester like Isacord.

If I'm doing the invisible applique using a blind hem stitch, I may use a finer polyester like Sew Fine or Bottom Line, or if I don't want to change thread colors then a clear polyester thread like Monopoly

Not a very definitive answer, was it??? LOL
    No, it's not a definitive answer, but a good one. That's pretty much how I do it also.

Blog Entries
    I use "regular" weight thread for very small tight areas, but 99.9% of the time I use Mettler 30 weight (it has orange writing around the top). My industrial machines do a very tight satin stitch and it also helps make the heavy weight stiffener on the back fall off easily.

satin stitch showing on the back of the stiffener which is already peeling away.
    Name:  Attachment-146887.jpe
Views: 266
Size:  27.4 KB

stiffener is gone
    Name:  Attachment-146888.jpe
Views: 243
Size:  45.3 KB

front
    Name:  Attachment-146893.jpe
Views: 268
Size:  51.3 KB

closeup of stitches which should be flat and smooth
    Name:  Attachment-146894.jpe
Views: 269
Size:  31.2 KB

Blog Entries
    if you use invisible thread what do you use in your bobbin, the same?

I like Essentials from Connecting Threads and Marathon thread that I get at AQS vendors at their shows. Marathon also has a rayon thread.

When doing applique onthe machine I use regular thread in the top needle & serger thread in the bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by katlady
    When doing applique onthe machine I use regular thread in the top needle & serger thread in the bobbin.
    Katlady is serger thread more like bobbin thread in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I haven't tried because it's very expensive but I heard that silk almost dissappears, I do use it for hand applique and love it
    me too

Blog Entries
    When I was a child I always outlined the pictures I colored in my coloring books. It has pretty well carried over to my machine applique. Therefore, any thread that accents what I have made works for me. Sometimes it's a different color to look like an outline, other times it's one to blend.

Yes, you may use regular sewing thread. I did it for years. I would suggest that you use some sort of a stabilizar on the under side of the block, garment, etc. that you are putting the applique on. It will reduce the chances of the satin stitch "tunneling" or pulling together. It also works the same with blanket stitch, although it isn't as necessary. It depends on how wide you make the stitch in either case.
    Happy a good time with the applique. It's lots of fun. :-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast