Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need HELP - What size/kind of needles and thread do you use for needle turn Applique? >

Need HELP - What size/kind of needles and thread do you use for needle turn Applique?

Need HELP - What size/kind of needles and thread do you use for needle turn Applique?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 AM

I am learning needle turn applique and would like to know what needles/sizes and threads do you use? I just purchased the Clover Black Gold Needles - Size 9. The length is okay, but the needle seems a bit large when going through the fold....Thanks for any and all feedback given....

Sandi
FL
Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 AM

I've been using John James size 11 straw needles lately. I was using sharps, but they seem too small for me.

I wasn't impressed with the black gold needles, but I'd like to give them another try - Sandra Leichner uses them and thinks they are fantastic.

Janet
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM

you can get either ones that say applique on them or the straw needles are great. I normally use an 11; if you do it in either of the above you'll find they are longer and thinner. Sizes are opposites of their #'s an 8 is larger than an 11.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

i can't recall the type of needle we used in our class. but we did use silk thread. the thread made all the difference in my applique. using beige for everything works ok as it works so well, the thread doesn't show anyway :)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM
mim

I like the straw needles because they are long enough to hold easily while I am working
Mim
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Thanks everyone for replying.........!! It's very very much appreciated.....! I'll post this little project when I'm finished.....Looking at using Size 11 Milliners and Silk thread.....Wish me luck!!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM

i don't remember the brand or size but i usually use a straw needle, sometimes i use a quilting needle, what a difference! but i always use #100 silk thread usually all you need is 1 each dark, med. and light. when you get the hang of it your stitches seldom show and if they do the thread is very hard to see anyway, good luck
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
np3
Power Poster

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Hi,
I use the straw needles #11, and I also use the needles that are labeled Applique in different sizes, depending on the thickness of the fabric. Some brands go through several layers better than others. You need to try a few different stlyes to find what you like the best.
Invisafil thread works even better than silk. It comes in many colors and even though the piece may be dark, an off-white thread is almost invisible. To find a source, just enter Invisafil thread in your browser. I only know of one quilt shop online that carries a wide variety of colors in this thread at this time.
I have been doing needle-turn applique for about 20+ years.
Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM

it took me many tries to get the hang of the long straw needles but now use them along with #100 silk YIL thread, your sttiches willl disppear completly.