Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to make for parents' 50th anniversary? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-make-parents-50th-anniversary-t201617.html)

kele 09-26-2012 04:45 PM

What to make for parents' 50th anniversary?

I would like to make my parents a really nice quilt for their 50th. That will be in February 2013, so I have some time. After looking at shops and on the internet, my favorite right now is Glacier Star by Judy Niemeyer. It is such a beautiful quilt! It's also probably above my current abilities. Would anyone care to share their experience with this pattern? Is this something that taken slowly, one step at a time, is doable for a intermediate level piecer? Or maybe a suggestion for a different pattern? I am looking for something with kind of a "wow" factor. Thanks.

COYOTEMAGIC 09-26-2012 05:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had my sisters hit up my parents address book and mailed a square of fabric and asked them to write something on it for my parents. I then stitched over all the messages in thread. You could use perma pens. I used the squares in the center of "Friendship Star" blocks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365809[/ATTACH]

I made this one for the 60th this past July

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365810[/ATTACH]

needles3thread 09-26-2012 05:26 PM

How about using something with the color gold as main color, since it is their golden anniversary?

Tothill 09-26-2012 05:41 PM

I will be making a quilt for my mother's 80th birthday in 2014. I am planning on something along the lines of a family tree.

Mum had 2 kids and has 6 grandchildren. There will not be anymore grandbabies, but a great grand baby is a possibility before her birthday.

For her 70th birthday we had all the guests sign the table cloth. But for her quilt I want to focus on family.

For me it is important to make something that represents Mum and the impact she has had on the world, not just a beautiful quilt. As well as putting family in the quilt, I will put many of the organizations that have been important to her over the years.

The quilt pattern you have chosen is beautiful.

woody 09-26-2012 08:13 PM

I have one of Judy Niemeyer's patterns at the moment but I haven't started it as yet. The instructions look clear and well written which is good. What about getting one of her small tablerunner patterns like cactus flower or witches brew (they look as though they have some curved piecing in them to practice) and give it a go, or see if there are any teachers or classes for the quilt in your area.
It is a stunning quilt and would make a very special gift, but I'm sure they would appreciate anything you make with love :)

Up North 09-26-2012 08:24 PM

I like to play with a lot of Photo editing so for my parents 50th I did a picture of the two of them together and it turned out so cute the Undertaker wanted it displayed at moms funeral. I have very few pictures of them together so this one turned out special. How about a quilt with some pictures of them added of their lives together. You can either use prepared for printer fabric or bubble jet set to make your own fabric pieces

susie-susie-susie 09-27-2012 04:25 AM

A picture of the two of them is a very good idea. My DH and I are soon celebrating out 50th (November) and looking back, we hardly have any pictures of the 2 of us. One is usually taking the picture. lol
Sue

HillCountryGal 09-27-2012 04:30 AM

I like the idea of a signature quilt. Including friends and family.

Elise1 09-27-2012 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been quilting for 2 years and also wonder if Glacier Star is doable for a newer quilter. It looks very difficult. I have done some of Niemeyer's easier patterns, (Wild Goose Chase). I will watch this thread.

This bargello is the quilt I have made with the most wow factor. It is all straight line stitching and was quite easy. You just have to keep your colors organized and carefully follow the pattern. The pattern is Links by Dereck Lockwood.

I am sure your parents will appreciate any quilt you give them.

Jingle 09-27-2012 05:07 AM

The last quilt is really gorgeous. We celebrated our 50th last 12-30-11. No quilts for it, I make lots and lots of quilts and we have probably 8-10 for our bed. They will love any quilt you make for them. Use their favorite colors or match the colors in their bedroom.