Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what sewing/quilting machine would you recommend for me to purchase? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-sewing-quilting-machine-would-you-recommend-me-purchase-t82224.html)

alisainfl 12-11-2010 08:34 PM

I will invest in a new sewing machine next year and looking for one that can handle regular sewing plus quilting with a little embroidery features, automatic height adjustment, automatic threader, cutter with needle up/down feature. I have been looking at brothers, babylock, janome and bernina???? what are your comments, suggestions???

Maia B 12-11-2010 08:53 PM

Maximum price? Will it be your only machine?

purplefiend 12-11-2010 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by alisainfl
I will invest in a new sewing machine next year and looking for one that can handle regular sewing plus quilting with a little embroidery features, automatic height adjustment, automatic threader, cutter with needle up/down feature. I have been looking at brothers, babylock, janome and bernina???? what are your comments, suggestions???

Have you considered Husqvarna Viking? The Ruby is a nice machine that has embroidery, 10" throat and some of the other features.

Yellow Bird 12-11-2010 09:43 PM

I just purchased the Janome Horizon 7700....pricey but, to me, worth it.

quiltstodo 12-11-2010 10:18 PM

I love my janome 6600p. Sews great and can handle the quilting nicely

scowlkat 12-11-2010 10:41 PM

Love Janomes but if you want embroidery as well, might wait a while as I heard they are coming out with a better model than the 11000. Depending on how much you can spend, might look at the Babylock Ellisimo, Brother Quattro or Viking Diamond. I am sure Pfaff has a wonderful equivalent but am not familiar with them.

Dani 12-12-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by alisainfl

That's exactly what I want. Just a machine to piece, quilt and a few embroidery stitches. I also want good lighting, auto threader, cutter, up/down needle, 11" throat, and maybe some stitch memory, auto tension, and probably forgotten something. I have looked at a couple machines but have not researched all.

Ruby the Quilter 12-12-2010 11:22 AM

I have a Janome 11000 and love it - wonderful embroidery, and great sewing. My Mother and sister have a other Janome and love them. I know that 11000 is pricey but the features are great. You just have to keep the bobbin area really really clean!

Maia B 12-12-2010 11:45 AM

If you really want an 11" throat, that really narrows it down quite a bit. The Janome Horizon 7700 has it, so does the Elna version of that, the 740 Xcellence. Pfaff QE 4 is 9-10", I think. Babylock Quest Plus, Pfaff Smarter, Elna 7300 Quilting Queen, and Janome 6600 are all cousin machines with 8 5/8". Quest Plus being replaced by Serenade, might get a new feature or two. Dunno about Vikings. Bernina 830 has big throat and costs $10,000 or so. Other Berninas have 7" throat or so.

dotterbeck 12-12-2010 11:57 AM

What do you think about the Brothers PE770 Embroidery only machine? Any feed back will be appreciated>