Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what sewing/quilting machine would you recommend for me to purchase?

I will invest in a new sewing machine next year and looking for one that can handle regular sewing plus quilting with a little embroidery features, automatic height adjustment, automatic threader, cutter with needle up/down feature. I have been looking at brothers, babylock, janome and bernina???? what are your comments, suggestions???

Maximum price? Will it be your only machine?

Quote Originally Posted by alisainfl
    I will invest in a new sewing machine next year and looking for one that can handle regular sewing plus quilting with a little embroidery features, automatic height adjustment, automatic threader, cutter with needle up/down feature. I have been looking at brothers, babylock, janome and bernina???? what are your comments, suggestions???
    Have you considered Husqvarna Viking? The Ruby is a nice machine that has embroidery, 10" throat and some of the other features.

I just purchased the Janome Horizon 7700....pricey but, to me, worth it.

I love my janome 6600p. Sews great and can handle the quilting nicely

Blog Entries
    Love Janomes but if you want embroidery as well, might wait a while as I heard they are coming out with a better model than the 11000. Depending on how much you can spend, might look at the Babylock Ellisimo, Brother Quattro or Viking Diamond. I am sure Pfaff has a wonderful equivalent but am not familiar with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alisainfl
    That's exactly what I want. Just a machine to piece, quilt and a few embroidery stitches. I also want good lighting, auto threader, cutter, up/down needle, 11" throat, and maybe some stitch memory, auto tension, and probably forgotten something. I have looked at a couple machines but have not researched all.

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome 11000 and love it - wonderful embroidery, and great sewing. My Mother and sister have a other Janome and love them. I know that 11000 is pricey but the features are great. You just have to keep the bobbin area really really clean!

If you really want an 11" throat, that really narrows it down quite a bit. The Janome Horizon 7700 has it, so does the Elna version of that, the 740 Xcellence. Pfaff QE 4 is 9-10", I think. Babylock Quest Plus, Pfaff Smarter, Elna 7300 Quilting Queen, and Janome 6600 are all cousin machines with 8 5/8". Quest Plus being replaced by Serenade, might get a new feature or two. Dunno about Vikings. Bernina 830 has big throat and costs $10,000 or so. Other Berninas have 7" throat or so.

What do you think about the Brothers PE770 Embroidery only machine? Any feed back will be appreciated>

I have a Brother Quattro and love it. I bought mine second hand (one owner) and got a very resonable price. Check with your local sewing centers - people are always turning in perfectly good machines for more/better - lol. You can also look on Ebay and find some deals from time to time. I'm looking into getting a smaller machine for carrying back and forth to guild. Good hunting!
    Carolyn

I have been looking at the Brother Project Runway, the one with 294 stitches. I test drove the Bernina Activa 240, but was not impressed. the other one I want to look at is the Babylock Symphony. Any one have one of these machines, please give me some feedback. I really don't want to spend over $1500 which probably limits me, but the pocket book does do the talking.

thanks everyone,
    alisa

I have one for embroidery (Ult2001) and one for sewing (Janome 19606).
    I just hate to move the embroidery unit and put in/off the embroidery foot every time I want to switch from embroidery to sewing. It is too much time involved.
    I would recommend to buy a Brother or Baby Lock for embroidery because they use the most popular embroidery format (lots of freebies around) and for sewing-quilting, an older sturdy model like Pfaff or Janome.
    My two cents.

I love mine. Haven't done FMQ on it. Love the way it feeds your fabric thru. My old machine tended to kick the bottom fabric to the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Bird
    I just purchased the Janome Horizon 7700....pricey but, to me, worth it.