Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing machine would you recommend >

What sewing machine would you recommend

What sewing machine would you recommend

Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Default What sewing machine would you recommend

I have sewn for years, am making my first quilt. I have a Bernina 220 which is fantastic for piecing and regular sewing, however, it's too light-weight to quilt on. Stuffing the bulky quilt through the small throat is driving me crazy, plus the feed dogs don't seem strong enough to push the quilt layers through the machine evenly and decorative stitches are skipping or bunching up in knots. My husband offered the idea of a heavy duty machine, but I do want decorative stitches. I have a 2000.00 budget. What make and model would you recommend? I'm fine with a used machine too. Thank you!
Jackie
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

A lot of people really like Janome in that price range -- especially the 6600p (around $1600, I think), although they have even newer models than that now.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 PM

I agree on the Janomes. I have had the 6600 and now have an 8900. On occasion you'll find a show special or dealer who will sell the 8900 for under $2000. It's so worth it, with an extra 2" of harp space. It also has automatic tension which seems to be perfect for FMQ every time. The 6600 is also a great machine and I can highly recommend it.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM

I love my Janome 6600. I paid $1400 for it. Well, dh did. It was a mother's day gift.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 PM

All my life I wanted a Bernina! I finally got one but now it's boxed up waiting to be given to a daughter to sew with. I sew with a janome and love it. The throat is very large and it has plenty of stitiches a quilter would want. For the money you can't go wrong with a Janome in my estimation!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:11 AM

had the 6600 and it was great but wanted more so got the Horizon. Janomes are the best in my opinion
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 AM

I bought a vintage Bernina 830 Record specifically for this purpose. Actually, my DH bought it for me for Valentine's Day a few years ago...$400 on eBay. It does a terrific job. I keep it set up for FMQ full time.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 AM

Thanks everyone, you've given me some options to pursue. Have a great day!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 AM

I have a Janome 6600 & love it. I have found that some of the decorative stitches don't work well with my accufeed feet. Don't know about your Bernina but maybe that is part of the issue.

Don't freak yourself out looking for a new machine like I did! Sometimes too much research is not a good thing. LOL
Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 AM

If you do a lot of quilting you might want to consider getting a sit down quilt machine and a regular sewing machine. You might be able to find one used. I had thought of the Bailey which now offers a desk option instead of just a frame. It's a little over your price range though for the 15 or 17" versions. The 13" with the table looks like it would be 2k and you'd have 13" from your needle to the side. Very often they have classroom deals on the machines which would make them even more affordable. The classroom models are used very little so you'd be able to save a good chunk of change. A sit down quilt machine would give you lots of room for you to move your quilts around. That would be more than double what you are used to for space... but you need a dedicated spot for it. Baileys are great machines. If they had a table option available when I purchased my Lizzie, I might have gotten the Bailey. I got a Lizzie and haven't regretted it. Getting the table specifically for the Bailey is $500. If you have a handy hubby you could buy a desk at a second hand store and hubby could make the desk for you and save you money If that were the case, you'd have a bit left over for an actual sewing sewing machine.

So a machine like the Bailey would be for free motion quilting only... but that would also give you machine options. If you got a sit down quilt machine you then could then spend a little more and get a second machine for piecing & decorative stitches. You'd be able to get just about any machine that you like for piecing and fun stitches. I know several people who have gotten a Brother through walmart or Amazon for less than $250 and like it a lot. It even came with a walking foot and an extension table.

Buying a machine is always difficult. There are so many options and every person you meet will tell you they love a specific model or brand. I thought I'l throw out the road less travelled since that's the way I went.. I have a Janome 4900 for using decorative stitches or needing a free arm. I have a Juki 2000 for piecing (LOVE my Juki!!) and I have a Tin Lizzie sit down for quilting. My set up is over your budget but at the time it was an option for me so I jumped at it.

Best of luck! If possible, I'd go and try out some machines at any local dealers if you have any near by.