Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which magazine would you recommend?

There are SO many quilting mags out there! How do you pick?!

I'm looking for something that:

* Has stuff that's accessible for beginners but isn't too dumbed down.
    * Has articles and tips, not just patterns.

Any suggestions?!

Personally, I like the Quilters Newsletter. It seems to have more "old fashioned" quilts and patterns in it. It always seems to have very good instructions with the patterns also. I don't care for the newer art and scenic quilts that a lot of magazines seem to be featuring a lot. So it depends on what type of quilting you are really interested in.

I like Quiltmaker. It has patterns and also quilting ideas/motifs.

I love Quilters Home for the articles and Fons and Porters for the patterns.

i like them all! my husband told me recently that I needed to pick one and buy a subscription!! haven't decided on one yet either! :D :?: :D

Definitely Fons and Porter.

I have probably subscribed to most of them. The number one on my list is Quiltmaker. I have cancelled subscriptions and have always gone back to the Quiltmaker. I had to cut back on my books and am resubscribing to the Quiltmaker as the only one I will get.

Barb

I learned how to quilt with McCalls Quick Quilts and still have my subscription after about 7-8 years. I found the patterns easy to follow and being the kind of person who likes to see things progress, "quick" quilts are right up my alley.

Blog Entries
    The only two i subscribe to.

http://www.quilters-world.com/

reasonably priced and digital. lots of beginner and intermediate ideas. i download the issues to my computer. less clutter around the house, i can print pages as often as i need to AND i don't lose them. :P

the other is:

http://www.americanquilter.com/

the subscription is pricier but the free book you get is pretty interesting. lots of advanced traditional and artsy-tartsy techniques and articles. for now, they go into my "someday" pile. (as in "someday i may have the guts to try something like that! but not today." :lol: )

Blog Entries
    I picked up a quilt magazine today at the grocery store. It's full of easy pretty patterns. I love the flag cover quilt. I may subscribe to this one. The name of the magazine is QUILT.

Funny, I'm trying to make this same decision. This month I prefer McCalls Quilting. I just purchased 5 different ones and narrowed it down to McCalls. I'll wait until the next issue comes out, review it, and if I like that one I may subscribe.

Each one has its own style and you may want to try each for a few issues before committing.

You know, I was looking at McCall's online ... the articles looked interesting, and I liked the photos they had of the quilts.

I second Quilt, The quilter, Quick Quilts, Quilters Newsletter(If you like a lot of articles) and McCalls Quilting. ALso fons and porter.

I subscribe to Fons and Porter but buy Quilter's Home now quite often. It is very entertaining and I love Lipinski's fabrics. The two patterns in the last issue will be in the back of my mind for a long time.
    I think each magazine offers a little something different for each different style. Just have to pick what you like.

judee

I like the The Quilter Magazine and McCalls Quick Quilts. So many patterns for beginners.

I love Quiltmaker, my favorite

Banned
    another vote for quiltmaker and i also like quilting arts

I like Quilter's Newsletter for all purpose, Quilting Arts for interesting quilts, and Quilter's Home for the funny stuff. But maybe you shouldn't ask me for just one ... I get them all!

Well, I am the odd quilter here. My favorite is American Patchwork and Quilting. It has quilts for every level, quilting tips, etc and I love the semi annual Quilt Sampler magazine they do.

I have also subscribed to Quilter's Newsletter Magazine and Fons and Porter. I like both of them too, but just do not have the time to read that many magazines and they were taking over the shelves.

I have had subscritions to a lot of quilt mags.. I decided to go through all of them and really choose the ones I want to keep. Boy, you talk about a hard decision. I have found, though, that the mags I have kept are McCall's and Fons and Porter, and not all of them either. I now need to sell my other mags, maybe e-bay.......

Have you checked your library to see which ones they may already have for you to browse? Then pick a different one so you have more ideas and articles to read without all the expense. Also the library will have lots of quilt books to check out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Well, I am the odd quilter here. My favorite is American Patchwork and Quilting. It has quilts for every level, quilting tips, etc and I love the semi annual Quilt Sampler magazine they do.
    Marcia, this is also my favorite. :-)

I have collected many magazines for years. I find that they have pattern after pattern and I am not one to follow patterns. I tend to do my own thing and even though I look at patterns for inspiration, I don't follow every detail of them. That was a long way to say that I don't use magazine patterns, because you end up with a pattern that many paople have and is not unique. There! I now made it even longer.

I came across Quilter's Home by Mark Lipinsky and was fascinated by the way he includes product eveluations, recommendations, recipes, and some very interesting articles. I found myself reading it from cover to cover and I never did that with a quilting magazine before. It has 3 patterns per issue, but I guess by now you now how I feel about patterns. I can recommend this magazine to everyone that ask my opinion. He has a very refreshing way to see things, but many people don't like his style. I do. You can pick it up at JoAnns's or Sam's club, and see for yourself if his style is right for you before you subscribe to it. It tends to be a little pricy, but worth every penny.

Maria

Hi all,
    I love so many of the magazines that I really can't pick 'just one.' Wo, every once in a while I treat myself to a fancy coffee at one of my book stores [Barnes & Noble or Borders] and drink my coffee v-e-r-y slowly while I check out the magazines. I save a lot of $$ and get only what I really need. If I want more than one magazine, then often a friend will be buying that one. We share a lot down here in Phoenix.

Oh yeah, I scan on to a computer file those patterns I really love then recycle the magazines to other quilters. Less paper clutter and I can just quickly view what I have whenever I want to make a new quilt. Yes, I do back up the quilt file so I don't lose it.

Hope this helps.
    alice

As a devout appliquer I love Australian Patchwork and Quilting. My second favorite I think is McCalls Quilting Magazine. I get the Quick Quilts one once in a while because I do a lot of charity quilts and like to find a new simple pattern once in a while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast