Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which magazine would you recommend? >

Which magazine would you recommend?

Which magazine would you recommend?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 AM

I have a subscription to Fons and Porter and I have made things out of it in the past.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM

I've subscribed to Quilter's Newsletter for 12 years and was terribly disappointed when the magazine changed their format. :( The editors have hired columnists who own a company that seems to be mentioned quite often in their columns. Or a column is written about fishing - or - prodding quilters to buy lots of items from vendors at quilt shows because the vendors came to the show! In fact, at the recent Spring Quilts, Inc. show in Rosemont, IL, a woman in the Quilter's Newsletter booth asked me to subscribe to Quilter's Newsletter. I replied that I just cancelled my subscription and before I could explain why, she offered the excuse that "You don't like the new format". So, she must have received that comment from a lot of quilt show attendees. OK, now that I've "dissed" Quilter's Newsletter, I'm going to praise their sister publication - QUILTMAKER, which has lots of patterns and interesting articles. But I also subscriber to Fons & Porter Love of Quilting and Quilter's World - both good mags.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM

I now subscribe to Quilt & Quilter. I've done them all one time or another. I'll flip through Fons & Porter & buy it if something peeks my eye!
Or any of the others..
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

I have a subscription to Quilters Home, this is a magazine I cant wait to get the new ones when they come out. My MIL gave me a subscription to Quilting Arts. I really do not like it because its more about really artsy quilts and I am not that into the artsy style.

I will also pick up the American patchwork Quilt mag once in a while.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Belles
I've subscribed to Quilter's Newsletter for 12 years and was terribly disappointed when the magazine changed their format. :(
I told DH not to renew my subscription for the same reason.

Other than that I like Quiltmaker, Quilting, McCall's Patchwork, Fons and Porter.....shoot, what don't I like?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM

I'm a magazine junkie and used to subscribe to quite a few. But it always seemed that one month I'd like one and the next month another. So now I don't subscribe to any, but spend a lot of time at Borders and Barnes&Noble checking them out. The ones that seem to come home with me the most often are Quiltmaker, the Quilter, and the one from Better Homes & Gardens (American Patchwork and Quilting??).

I rarely follow patterns, but do love looking for inspiration...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM

I told DH not to renew my subscription for the same reason.

Other than that I like Quiltmaker, Quilting, McCall's Patchwork, Fons and Porter.....shoot, what don't I like?

What don't you like? Obviously Quilter's Newsletter! Everyone in my Bee cancelled their subscription for the same reason. We might even be the majority. Look what happened to Coca Cola when the company tried "New Coke". Ah, the power we sometimes possess :!:
Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I picked up a quilt magazine today at the grocery store. It's full of easy pretty patterns. I love the flag cover quilt. I may subscribe to this one. The name of the magazine is QUILT.
I have purchased and subscribed to: Fons and Porters Love of Quilting, McCall's quilting, McCall's Quick Quilts, Quilters Newsletter, The quilt magazine, Quilters world, Better homes and Gardens American Patchwork and Quilting, Quilters World and quiltmaker.
Had to downsize, so out of all those, for the kind of quilts I like, and for the ease in understanding the patterns, I chose:
McCall's quick Quilts, and The Quilt magazine.
I like a magazine that not only lists the fabrics with amount and description, but shows you, which part of the quilt in the picture, that description goes with! They should all do that. :wink:
Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Fons and Porter! I leaf through a half dozen or so each time they change them at the drugstore and I treat myself to one if there's a pattern that "calls my name"... I just checked my pile of magazines and Fons and Porter wins hands down!