Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which magazine would you recommend? >

Which magazine would you recommend?

Which magazine would you recommend?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Have you checked your library to see which ones they may already have for you to browse? Then pick a different one so you have more ideas and articles to read without all the expense. Also the library will have lots of quilt books to check out. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
Well, I am the odd quilter here. My favorite is American Patchwork and Quilting. It has quilts for every level, quilting tips, etc and I love the semi annual Quilt Sampler magazine they do.
Marcia, this is also my favorite. :-)
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 AM

I have collected many magazines for years. I find that they have pattern after pattern and I am not one to follow patterns. I tend to do my own thing and even though I look at patterns for inspiration, I don't follow every detail of them. That was a long way to say that I don't use magazine patterns, because you end up with a pattern that many paople have and is not unique. There! I now made it even longer.

I came across Quilter's Home by Mark Lipinsky and was fascinated by the way he includes product eveluations, recommendations, recipes, and some very interesting articles. I found myself reading it from cover to cover and I never did that with a quilting magazine before. It has 3 patterns per issue, but I guess by now you now how I feel about patterns. I can recommend this magazine to everyone that ask my opinion. He has a very refreshing way to see things, but many people don't like his style. I do. You can pick it up at JoAnns's or Sam's club, and see for yourself if his style is right for you before you subscribe to it. It tends to be a little pricy, but worth every penny.

Maria
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM

Hi all,
I love so many of the magazines that I really can't pick 'just one.' Wo, every once in a while I treat myself to a fancy coffee at one of my book stores [Barnes & Noble or Borders] and drink my coffee v-e-r-y slowly while I check out the magazines. I save a lot of $$ and get only what I really need. If I want more than one magazine, then often a friend will be buying that one. We share a lot down here in Phoenix.

Oh yeah, I scan on to a computer file those patterns I really love then recycle the magazines to other quilters. Less paper clutter and I can just quickly view what I have whenever I want to make a new quilt. Yes, I do back up the quilt file so I don't lose it.

Hope this helps.
alice
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM

As a devout appliquer I love Australian Patchwork and Quilting. My second favorite I think is McCalls Quilting Magazine. I get the Quick Quilts one once in a while because I do a lot of charity quilts and like to find a new simple pattern once in a while.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM

i get three, and for what mho's worth, quiltmaker or fons&porter would be good for a learner. lots of pics and step-by-steps. hardly any advanced quilts. quiltmaker is probably the bast.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

I like McCalls Quilting the best. McCalls Quick Quilts is good too.

I also subscribe to Quilter's World, Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork (what a long title) and also Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting.

The McCalls always has more earmarks when I'm done reading it, which is a good indication. (I've actually stopped earmarking, now I use sticky notes with the pattern name written on them) Makes it a whole lot easier to find what I'm looking for that way!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM

My favorite quilt magazine is called "Machine Quilting unlimited" this is a year old magazine and a great one for basics as well as more. articles are "batting Choices", all about needles, threads to use, how to use color etc. it is more on the quilting end of things but there are a few patterns also. Like Quilt World for patterns. you can access it at: www.mqumag.com i sincerely feel it is the best magazine out there. gets into the nitty gritty of quilting.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM

I have subscribed to all of them at one time or another. Currently my favorites are Quilters World and Quiltmaker. I used to love Traditional Quiltworks but they ceased publication.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 PM

You can often find old quilt magazines on EBay. Usually 3 or more in one sale. Some are only a few months old. The price is usually more reasonable then a subscription which only gives you 6 magazines per year.