Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do with three huge boxes of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-three-huge-boxes-fabric-t142243.html)

kaykwilts 08-03-2011 02:47 AM

Yesterday, I took the plunge. I have been wanting to clean out my stash of fabrics that I know now I will never use. I am up to box three, and still more to sort. Now before any of you droll :wink: :wink: , let me tell you that 98% of this fabric is leftovers from when I worked in a drapery workroom....so it's drapery weight cottons and a lot of silks....and a good deal of stretchy t-shirt fabric from the long ago days when I used to sew clothing for my children. I am just so tired of having all this bulk around that I cannot manage, and will never do anything with. I was thinking of just taking these boxes to the local half-way house run thrift store, but wanted y'alls input before I do anything. Any ideas?

JulieR 08-03-2011 02:54 AM

You could Craigslist it, even for free. Somebody would be there in a minute.

ptquilts 08-03-2011 02:55 AM

upholstery/drapery fabric = tote bags and pillows

knit fabric = cut in strips, crochet or braid rugs.

silk = silk crazy quilts!!

JMHO - also, why not offer it for sale on QB? bet it would find a good home.

annthreecats 08-03-2011 02:56 AM

I think I would try to give it to a local women's shelter. They might be able to use it.

kaykwilts 08-03-2011 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
upholstery/drapery fabric = tote bags and pillows

knit fabric = cut in strips, crochet or braid rugs.

silk = silk crazy quilts!!

JMHO - also, why not offer it for sale on QB? bet it would find a good home.

oh no!!! Now I have ideas!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

QuiltingGrannie 08-03-2011 03:12 AM

Craigslist, free cycle, women's shelter, retirement home, school home ec dept, other organizations that may use the fabric to make things to donate.

Or post some here for sale.

hopetoquilt 08-03-2011 03:12 AM

You can offer it on Freecycle. Someone would come to your house to pick it up. If it is weighing you down, get rid of it. Only keep things in life that make you happy.

JenniePenny 08-03-2011 03:40 AM

I would also suggest Craig's list (selling for an inexpensive price/ or free) and freecycle. Then someone who is searching for that type of fabric can get what they want. Sometimes these things don't sell at thrift stores.

mshollysd 08-03-2011 03:44 AM

You know, I bought some silk for my daughter's bustier for Renessaince and it cost me $15 a yard.

jmabby 08-03-2011 03:53 AM

Many of the Nursing Homes and Assistant Living welcome clean fabric. They said they always need a variety of fabric for the small crafts residents make for their craft shows.

Drapery fabric is great for tablerunners. Silk would be great for silk quilts, would love to have enough silk to make one.