Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

Jannie 02-17-2015 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by panderz (Post 7092071)
I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to go to a quilt show soon. My grandma was just in Portland and found a Fabric Store that is 1 1/2 acres with over 11,000 quilt fabrics so we are round tripping soon to check it out and get my stash started.

Quilt shows are fun. They generally have lots of quilts to look and drool over to get inspiration. Also lots of vendors to spend money on needed and wanted items.

What was the name of the quilt shop in Portland? Hubby keeps talking about going to Portland and it might be a good place to check out while there.

KalamaQuilts 02-17-2015 10:53 AM

I parted out the quilting estates on Ebay for the families of 3 friends. While it was a bittersweet process, I often laughed at what we all had in common in the gadgets that hadn't been unwrapped or had been tossed in a dark corner :)

panderz 02-18-2015 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jannie (Post 7094143)
Quilt shows are fun. They generally have lots of quilts to look and drool over to get inspiration. Also lots of vendors to spend money on needed and wanted items.

What was the name of the quilt shop in Portland? Hubby keeps talking about going to Portland and it might be a good place to check out while there.

It was called the Fabric Depot.
http://www.fabricdepot.com/retail-store is their website.
They are right off SE Stark so it would be really easy to find even if you aren't from around town.
They also have a 4.1 rating on Yelp from about 50 reviews and the pictures on the website look amazing.
I told my Grandma that Grandpa would have to rent an 18 wheeler for us to take down there. Me being so into quilting now and her being a yard addict for all her crochet projects.

auntnana 03-10-2015 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria (Post 5578643)
BellaBoo and janRN, how wonderful for you!!! I am at the painful, hard to sleep at night stage--a 16 and 14 year old and college looming ahead. My daughter priced out one year at UC Davis and it was $34,000. Yikes!!!

One of the main reasons I have stayed in my state university job for so long. Free tuition for me and 50% off for my spouse and kids!

IAmCatOwned 03-10-2015 06:37 PM

I should investigate selling my copy of EQ7. It's a great program, but I'm not a quilt designer - I'm a pattern follower especially since I've lost so much vision. I used to belong to a group where the BOM was created on EQ7 every month and we'd all do it, but the group died out when the free hosting service dissolved.

annie123 03-11-2015 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5570600)
The Quilt Cut 2 was the biggest waste of money for me. I ended up putting it under my cutting table until I sold it on ebay. It was just useless for me. And I had been wanting one for a whole year. And the Martelli Quick Binding System.

I agree with you I have both and never use either. Just a sucker for a demo I guess.

littlebitoheaven 03-11-2015 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann (Post 5569872)
I am about to go to PIQF (Pacific International Quilt Fest) in a few days. Not only does it have spectacular quilts, but the largest collection of vendors under one roof. I have read about all of the best purchases and tools quilters have obtained, but what was the one purchase you would NEVER make again?

I bought the special screw driver set from Nancy's Notions (`$30.00). Tried them twice and I do not like them at all!!!

Pudge 03-11-2015 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven (Post 7124169)
I bought the special screw driver set from Nancy's Notions (`$30.00). Tried them twice and I do not like them at all!!!

Well, you're not alone. I asked for the set as a b day present, got it, and I too am sorely disappointed.

bearisgray 03-12-2015 04:18 AM

A round Hinterberg quilting frame. It was always in the way and I never used it. I finally fell over it and broke the core piece.

janRN 03-12-2015 04:27 AM

How do you sell a computer program like EQ7? I love my EQ7 but I'd like to sell my copy & rulers for DearJane Quilt. Didn't know you could sell programs once downloaded. (In other words, DJ program was a waste of money for me, made 19 blocks and didn't like them or the program).