Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your least favorite part of quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-least-favorite-part-quilting-t77861.html)

janb 11-21-2010 03:50 PM

I love it all, but if I had to choose some part I liked least it would be preparing the fabric for cutting.

StitchinJoy 11-21-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by janb
I love it all, but if I had to choose some part I liked least it would be preparing the fabric for cutting.

I hate to bind. I would rather move on to the next project.

bj 11-21-2010 03:55 PM

I dislike sandwiching and basting the layers together, especially on a very big quilt. I find it very difficult to get it straight. It usually takes at least 3 stabs at it to get it even. I think part of the problem is I don't have a very good place to do it and I am short :-) :-)!

charismah 11-21-2010 03:55 PM

I hate borders....ONce i get to borders sometimes I have to let my project sit for a few days to "talk" myself into do them....Measure...cut ..measure...Measure again..UGH!

deema 11-21-2010 03:56 PM

I'd have to say that my least favourite part is ironing the large pieces, like you, preparing for the cutting. After that, I pretty much enjoy it all! I love the cutting because I'm excited about starting a new project. I love piecing because I am excited to see what it's going to look like. For now, I'm not entirely thrilled with the quilting part, but that is partly because my machine is small and doesn't handle a large project well. And I love the binding...it's just that finishing touch for me, and I enjoy doing it.

bjnicholson 11-21-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I dislike sandwiching and basting the layers together, especially on a very big quilt. I find it very difficult to get it straight. It usually takes at least 3 stabs at it to get it even. I think part of the problem is I don't have a very good place to do it and I am short :-) :-)!

Shortness is always a drawback, isn't it? I'm short too and it's all about reaching stuff on my tippy toes! I can't say what my least favorite part is because I haven't finished a quilt yet. I made 2 pot holders and 1 mug rug and the binding on the mug rug was perfect if I do say so myself!

Izaquilter 11-21-2010 03:58 PM

Sandwiching the 3 layers. Now that I'm getting older it's getting harder & harder to get on the floor & pin my quilts. Going to send one to a friend with a long arm & have her baste it & I'm going to pin it as she goes.....

Farm Quilter 11-21-2010 04:01 PM

I am with Charisma, I don't like borders...but I hate binding too! I don't like hand work, so getting those bindings finished is a bugger! I love choosing the fabrics and pattern, cutting is all right is small doses, putting the top together is fun - love seeing if it will come out the way it looks in my head, but the quilting is my favorite part, but that's only because of my Innova 18!

sewTinker 11-21-2010 04:01 PM

Least Favorite would have to be cutting the fabric. My attention span is Zip when it comes to cutting. I have to give myself a good talking to to stay on task. Sometimes I decide to cheat and just cut enough to start sewing, knowing that I won't be sewing long, which motivates me to keep cutting! It's a circle.

maryb119 11-21-2010 04:03 PM

Adding the label is a chore for me. I always add on but sometimes, my quilts have to wait a while after they are finished before I get around to adding one. I add an aditional label if the quilt places in a show and those labels really wait a while.