Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's a good Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-good-embroidery-machine-t53148.html)

BonniFeltz 07-06-2010 09:54 AM

Hopefully at the beginning of the new year when I get my income tax back, I will be able to get a sewing machine that does embroidery. I won't have a lot for it but is there one that is "decent" in the $600-$700 range? I thought I'd start to look now. My sewing machine currently is a singer confidence quilter and I love it so won't get get rid of that, but would like a second one just for embroidery.

Any suggestions?

MaryStoaks 07-06-2010 10:08 AM

Some of the Brother machines that will embroider up to a 5X7 field are in that price range. Check out the reviews and look at what local dealers have in stock. Many carry nice used machines with a warentee.

sharon b 07-06-2010 11:25 PM

If you have a LQS check with them and see if they have any used machines also.. get more for your money and instructions :thumbup:

knlsmith 07-07-2010 12:16 AM

I'm getting a janome 9500 used with guarantee from my janome dealer. Real cheap cuz I traded in 2 machines I won't use when I get it.

Yarn or Fabric 07-07-2010 03:36 AM

You won't get a really good embroidery machine for $600 - the cheapest new, embroidery only machine starts at about $800 - then add in your start up costs of stabilizer, thread & needles... you are looking at a good $1000.

You might be able to find one used - and used can sometimes be good - but then it can also be bad. I have sold used machines in the past but my machines do not get any wear and tear on them... other people have machines and they run them hours every day, getting ready for craft shows or selling things online and whatnot - that machine is a bad one and will probably poop out on you quickly. You just don't know what you are going to get - although *some* of the machines have a stitch count on them so you can see how many stitches have been sewn on it....

You might find a used one at a dealer - and that would be a good way to go but you will probably not find one that also sews - when you add the sewing feature to an embroidery machine, the price more than doubles.

You don't really want one that also sews - because trust me when I say that there are a lot of times when you just want to hit start and do something else - there are other projects that you have to stand there and make sure the material isn't going to get sucked in to the machine lol.

If you look long enough though you will find one - but don't be too attached to the must also sew bit. If you have a sewing machine already, use that for sewing and keep the embroidery machine separate ;)

dojo36 07-07-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Hopefully at the beginning of the new year when I get my income tax back, I will be able to get a sewing machine that does embroidery. I won't have a lot for it but is there one that is "decent" in the $600-$700 range? I thought I'd start to look now. My sewing machine currently is a singer confidence quilter and I love it so won't get get rid of that, but would like a second one just for embroidery.

Any suggestions?

I have the 350E Janome embroidery machine, it's great and it's just an embroidery machine. my friend bought a used 300E emb machine from an individual for $300.00. check with your local dealer or look in paper or on craigslist or go to janome.com and look around

aorlflood 07-07-2010 06:42 AM

I bought my Viking Scandinavia 400 on Ebay for $500. It was brand new in the box. I love it. However, it isn't the kind that you can attach to your computer and download things. You have to have a card to insert in the side.

It does come with 2 cards and you can buy more cards on Ebay as money allows.

If you want you can also invest in a "card reader" and buy programmable cards. Then you can download items from your computer to the card which then goes into your machine.

If you keep your eyes open and don't jump into anything hastily, there are machines out there that you can get started with for a reasonable price. Just be aware that as time goes on you will want to invest more into supplies like additional cards, etc., as money allows.

Hope this helps.

BonniFeltz 07-07-2010 06:44 AM

Thanks everybody for all your advice. This is why I'm starting to think about it now. Won't be buying anything until around FEbruary 2011 but I like to do my homework first so I have an idea on what to look for and compare, etc.

Anna O 07-07-2010 02:18 PM

Check out Baby Lock.

AnneR 07-07-2010 03:34 PM

See if you can get a Janome 350E, I know a few people who have them& say they are great.I have a 9700 which is a combo machine, does about the same as the 350 I love it but really only use it for embroidery as I have another machine I use for regular sewing .I think the Janomes are the best buy in a quality machine.
Anne