Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What's a good Embroidery Machine

  1. #1
    Super Member BonniFeltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    1,871
    Hopefully at the beginning of the new year when I get my income tax back, I will be able to get a sewing machine that does embroidery. I won't have a lot for it but is there one that is "decent" in the $600-$700 range? I thought I'd start to look now. My sewing machine currently is a singer confidence quilter and I love it so won't get get rid of that, but would like a second one just for embroidery.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Super Member MaryStoaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    3,925
    Some of the Brother machines that will embroider up to a 5X7 field are in that price range. Check out the reviews and look at what local dealers have in stock. Many carry nice used machines with a warentee.

  3. #3
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    If you have a LQS check with them and see if they have any used machines also.. get more for your money and instructions :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,972
    I'm getting a janome 9500 used with guarantee from my janome dealer. Real cheap cuz I traded in 2 machines I won't use when I get it.

  5. #5
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,393
    You won't get a really good embroidery machine for $600 - the cheapest new, embroidery only machine starts at about $800 - then add in your start up costs of stabilizer, thread & needles... you are looking at a good $1000.

    You might be able to find one used - and used can sometimes be good - but then it can also be bad. I have sold used machines in the past but my machines do not get any wear and tear on them... other people have machines and they run them hours every day, getting ready for craft shows or selling things online and whatnot - that machine is a bad one and will probably poop out on you quickly. You just don't know what you are going to get - although *some* of the machines have a stitch count on them so you can see how many stitches have been sewn on it....

    You might find a used one at a dealer - and that would be a good way to go but you will probably not find one that also sews - when you add the sewing feature to an embroidery machine, the price more than doubles.

    You don't really want one that also sews - because trust me when I say that there are a lot of times when you just want to hit start and do something else - there are other projects that you have to stand there and make sure the material isn't going to get sucked in to the machine lol.

    If you look long enough though you will find one - but don't be too attached to the must also sew bit. If you have a sewing machine already, use that for sewing and keep the embroidery machine separate ;)

  6. #6
    Senior Member dojo36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    Hopefully at the beginning of the new year when I get my income tax back, I will be able to get a sewing machine that does embroidery. I won't have a lot for it but is there one that is "decent" in the $600-$700 range? I thought I'd start to look now. My sewing machine currently is a singer confidence quilter and I love it so won't get get rid of that, but would like a second one just for embroidery.

    Any suggestions?
    I have the 350E Janome embroidery machine, it's great and it's just an embroidery machine. my friend bought a used 300E emb machine from an individual for $300.00. check with your local dealer or look in paper or on craigslist or go to janome.com and look around

  7. #7
    Super Member aorlflood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    currently living in WV
    Posts
    1,416
    I bought my Viking Scandinavia 400 on Ebay for $500. It was brand new in the box. I love it. However, it isn't the kind that you can attach to your computer and download things. You have to have a card to insert in the side.

    It does come with 2 cards and you can buy more cards on Ebay as money allows.

    If you want you can also invest in a "card reader" and buy programmable cards. Then you can download items from your computer to the card which then goes into your machine.

    If you keep your eyes open and don't jump into anything hastily, there are machines out there that you can get started with for a reasonable price. Just be aware that as time goes on you will want to invest more into supplies like additional cards, etc., as money allows.

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    Super Member BonniFeltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    1,871
    Thanks everybody for all your advice. This is why I'm starting to think about it now. Won't be buying anything until around FEbruary 2011 but I like to do my homework first so I have an idea on what to look for and compare, etc.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,114
    Check out Baby Lock.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    33
    See if you can get a Janome 350E, I know a few people who have them& say they are great.I have a 9700 which is a combo machine, does about the same as the 350 I love it but really only use it for embroidery as I have another machine I use for regular sewing .I think the Janomes are the best buy in a quality machine.
    Anne

  11. #11
    Super Member BonniFeltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    1,871
    I'll have to see where we can get a Janome around here. Connie? do you know? Connie (ConnieQuilts) is also looking for a machine...her regular sewing machine just went out so she might be getting a newer one sooner than expected.

  12. #12
    Super Member tolepainter54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    1,370
    I bought a Viking D1 (used) for $1000. I love it! It has the floppy and it works great. It had very few hours on it. More than I wanted to spend but they let me lay it away for 3 months.

  13. #13
    community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    I'll have to see where we can get a Janome around here. Connie? do you know? Connie (ConnieQuilts) is also looking for a machine...her regular sewing machine just went out so she might be getting a newer one sooner than expected.
    hmmph - I don't know for sure B. I know I saw a shop in Paducah (road trip haha). I will ask when I take my machine in if that lady knows of anything.

    I am tired of getting machines at Joanns - if you know what I mean :(

  14. #14
    Super Member BonniFeltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniequilts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    I'll have to see where we can get a Janome around here. Connie? do you know? Connie (ConnieQuilts) is also looking for a machine...her regular sewing machine just went out so she might be getting a newer one sooner than expected.
    hmmph - I don't know for sure B. I know I saw a shop in Paducah (road trip haha). I will ask when I take my machine in if that lady knows of anything.

    I am tired of getting machines at Joanns - if you know what I mean :(
    I can understand that since your track record hasn't been the greatest with them. *I* haven't had any problems but you quilt more than I do. Remind me to ask Diane J. also. She might know.

  15. #15
    Senior Member tweetee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    542
    Ive got a Janome 300E and I think you can pick them up on ebay for US$600. ITs an embroidery only machine.
    I was told about the only difference between a 350E and a 300E was the usb port (and the price) That was why I got the 300E.

    But then you have to get the card, and card adaptor for it, and I also had to get a reader/writer converter for my laptop as my laptop doesnt take Flash cards. All up, for the cards and adaptors also off ebay came to about $22.

    You get 2 size hoops with this machine, and oyu cna purchase bigger or smaller ones seperately.

  16. #16
    Super Member jetnica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    1,402
    I have a Brother PE-780D -- if you get the PE-770 it would start at about $800 - the difference is that my machine does disney desgins, and the 770 doesn't.

    I got it at a shop in Greensburg PA -- and I won't ever go back to buying machines "off the shelf" again. The girls at that shop have gone ABOVE and BEYOND to help me in whatever way I needed to get me started and confident using my machine.

    I started by internet researching - that's how I decided on a Brother -- the closest shop (my shop now!) is an hour and 20 minutes away, but I still wouldn't drive the 20 minutes to the "box store" to get a machine now.

    Look at all the manufacter's websites, make a list of what you want, which machines have what you want, then search out those machine's dealers near you.

    Yes, it's about the machine, but it's just as much about where you buy it and how helpful that place is when you have questions.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Aully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Langdon, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    674
    Hello,
    Brother SE400 is a great machine and it afordable it has a USB cable to conect to your computer to do updates and add diffrent embroidery patterns and fonts and such. It also still does sewing. You can find it online at http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp24714-0068.html

    Another great 1 is Singer Viking White 4400
    http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp09631-0068.html
    This machine is also afordable and has a lot more functions and also has the USB cable and a card reader slot. I may order this machine for myself soon :)

    I hope I helped out! Good luck!

  18. #18
    Super Member Joeysnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana, PA
    Posts
    1,006
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    I have a Brother PE-780D -- if you get the PE-770 it would start at about $800 - the difference is that my machine does disney desgins, and the 770 doesn't.

    I got it at a shop in Greensburg PA -- and I won't ever go back to buying machines "off the shelf" again. The girls at that shop have gone ABOVE and BEYOND to help me in whatever way I needed to get me started and confident using my machine.

    I started by internet researching - that's how I decided on a Brother -- the closest shop (my shop now!) is an hour and 20 minutes away, but I still wouldn't drive the 20 minutes to the "box store" to get a machine now.

    Look at all the manufacter's websites, make a list of what you want, which machines have what you want, then search out those machine's dealers near you.

    Yes, it's about the machine, but it's just as much about where you buy it and how helpful that place is when you have questions.
    What shop in Greensburg, PA? I live in Indiana, PA and in a few months will be getting an embroidery machine. I don't want to buy online. With my klutziness with machines, I know I will need to buy it from someone who will answer my questions. TIA

  19. #19
    Super Member jetnica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeysnana
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    I have a Brother PE-780D -- if you get the PE-770 it would start at about $800 - the difference is that my machine does disney desgins, and the 770 doesn't.

    I got it at a shop in Greensburg PA -- and I won't ever go back to buying machines "off the shelf" again. The girls at that shop have gone ABOVE and BEYOND to help me in whatever way I needed to get me started and confident using my machine.

    I started by internet researching - that's how I decided on a Brother -- the closest shop (my shop now!) is an hour and 20 minutes away, but I still wouldn't drive the 20 minutes to the "box store" to get a machine now.

    Look at all the manufacter's websites, make a list of what you want, which machines have what you want, then search out those machine's dealers near you.

    Yes, it's about the machine, but it's just as much about where you buy it and how helpful that place is when you have questions.
    What shop in Greensburg, PA? I live in Indiana, PA and in a few months will be getting an embroidery machine. I don't want to buy online. With my klutziness with machines, I know I will need to buy it from someone who will answer my questions. TIA
    It's called "The Stitch in Time Shoppe" and it's in the Gabriel Brothers Plaza next to the GreenGate Plaza (where JoAnn's is)

    Seriously, those girls are worth my drive!! Here's the website: http://www.thestitchintimeshoppe.com/index.html

  20. #20
    Super Member Joeysnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana, PA
    Posts
    1,006
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeysnana
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    I have a Brother PE-780D -- if you get the PE-770 it would start at about $800 - the difference is that my machine does disney desgins, and the 770 doesn't.

    I got it at a shop in Greensburg PA -- and I won't ever go back to buying machines "off the shelf" again. The girls at that shop have gone ABOVE and BEYOND to help me in whatever way I needed to get me started and confident using my machine.

    I started by internet researching - that's how I decided on a Brother -- the closest shop (my shop now!) is an hour and 20 minutes away, but I still wouldn't drive the 20 minutes to the "box store" to get a machine now.

    Look at all the manufacter's websites, make a list of what you want, which machines have what you want, then search out those machine's dealers near you.

    Yes, it's about the machine, but it's just as much about where you buy it and how helpful that place is when you have questions.
    What shop in Greensburg, PA? I live in Indiana, PA and in a few months will be getting an embroidery machine. I don't want to buy online. With my klutziness with machines, I know I will need to buy it from someone who will answer my questions. TIA
    It's called "The Stitch in Time Shoppe" and it's in the Gabriel Brothers Plaza next to the GreenGate Plaza (where JoAnn's is)

    Seriously, those girls are worth my drive!! Here's the website: http://www.thestitchintimeshoppe.com/index.html
    Thanks so much. I only live about an hour from there and will definitely visit them!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.