Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When the blocks aren't perfect (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-blocks-arent-perfect-t58457.html)

sunnycat 08-08-2010 12:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm making my first quilt, a pinwheel table topper. I've finished the pinwheel blocks, and some are larger than others. Some of the blocks are larger at the bottom than the top, or vice versa, as well. Some of it is due to imperfect cuts, some to imperfect seams. It's all fractions of inches. Should I cut the blocks so that they're all the same size before sewing them together, or just go with it? I'm worried that at a certain point, I will wind up with an irreversibly not-square quilt. Thanks.

Also, if need be, I can post a pic of what I'm working on.

The first pic is of the overall project. I'm not decided on the color order, yet, but this gives you an idea. The yellow block in the middle needs to be completely redone for the start.

The second pic shows a block that isn't square. The top row is wider.

texas granny 08-08-2010 01:00 PM

Sunny you should square up your blocks get a square ruller close to the size your finished size should be
If your pinwheels are way off you might want to redo them.

kwiltkrazy 08-08-2010 01:06 PM

Love to have you post a picture. i would square them off before sewing them together, or you will end up with an unmatching mess.

cjomomma 08-08-2010 01:08 PM

Throw them away and start over. I am just kidding. Square them up. If you don't then the quilt will be wonky, not square at all.

kwiltkrazy 08-08-2010 01:19 PM

Looks like you are doing pretty good, seems there may be a variation in your seams. Be sure you square them off from the middle, not just squared around the outside.

Deecee 08-08-2010 01:20 PM

Its best to square as you go or else the problem grows with the quilt. Re-do any blocks that you are not really happy with now or you won't ever be happy with the finished quilt.

Up North 08-08-2010 01:20 PM

You are not going to loose any points by squaring these up so that is what I would do.

janRN 08-08-2010 01:55 PM

Are you pressing the seams as you go, before adding the next section of the block? Looks like some of your seams aren't flat and this can make them uneven. I'd try pressing them and then square them up to the same size. You really matched up the centers nicely-that's where I run into trouble. I also like your color choices.

lindyline 08-08-2010 01:57 PM

All of the above, an press, press, press the seams.This is not the hobby?(wrong word?) for anyone who's not friendly withtheir iron.

pocoellie 08-08-2010 02:03 PM

Whenever working with bias edges, make sure your fabrics are starched stiff, the stiffer the better. It will make the bias "behave" better and when pressing will hold the press better. How did you make them-by putting 2 squares together, then sewing diagonally or did you cut the squares, cut diagonally, then sew? All good advice offered on here, I think.

But, I do think you did a pretty good job, regardless.