Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When does a WOP turn into a UFO? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-does-wop-turn-into-ufo-t42361.html)

MegsAnn 04-11-2010 12:29 AM

So... when does a WOP (work in progress) officially turn into a UFO (unfinished object)? Is it when you lose interest in ever finishing it, when you haven't worked on it for a certain amount of time, or what?

For me, they're all WOPs except for the one sentimental project that I started with my mom before she died that I can't stand to work on just yet. (From 12 years ago.) But some of those that I count as "in progress" I haven't touched in 2 years.

fabric-holic 04-11-2010 02:42 AM

Well I say if you've put it away out of site, it becomes a UFO. (I have several :? )
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loses interest in some quilts before they're done.
They come in handy though if I need to quickly have a quilt for someone or for an auction.
I can understand why it would be hard for you to work on the quilt you started with your mother. But maybe by finishing it you'll feel her around you. Then you can display it on a quilt rack and think of her whenever you pass by it?

Elly 04-11-2010 04:41 AM

I agree with Fabric-Holic! When those WIP don't see the light day for some time they become a UFO. I also have several.
As for the quilt your Mom and you started, I understand your feelings. My Grandma taught me alot. When she passed I was given alot of her stuff. I use it and I can feel her with me. Heck, I even talk to her when I am stuck. Suddenly, things just come to me.I strongly believe that she helped me.I find this comforting.
Maybe, if you work on this quilt you will feel comfort instead of pain.Best Wishes to you!

fabric-holic 04-11-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Elly
Maybe, if you work on this quilt you will feel comfort instead of pain.Best Wishes to you!

I wish I had said it that well.

littlehud 04-11-2010 06:48 AM

Mine become UFOs when I pack them away for later. If it' still out it's a WIP

sewnsewer2 04-11-2010 07:09 AM

Well, if I start something and get side tracked on another project, I have to write a reminder of what I am doing or I'll forget what is was. Then it becomes a UFO. :lol:

I pretty much finish my projects.

MegsAnn 04-11-2010 06:04 PM

Yeah, maybe I should have a go at my mom quilt. It's a sampler and the blocks are all done, they just need sashing and a border.

How many UFOs and WOPs do you guys have?

I have... let's see... 1 UFO and 5 WOPs. I guess that's not too bad.

MegsAnn 04-11-2010 06:05 PM

Whoa! How did my WIPS turn into WOPs? That's so funny. I just noticed. It's even in the title for this thread. Oh boy.

raptureready 04-11-2010 06:08 PM

At my house it's a WIP as long as I'm working on it. It becomes a UFO if the top isn't together and I've set it aside for longer than a month.
If the top is pieced and it's just waiting to be quilted then it becomes a LIW--Lady in Waiting.

jetnica 04-11-2010 06:13 PM

for me, it becomes a UFO if i start a different project before finishing it.

I like to finish the projects I start. Now, realistically, I currently have two UFOs (a turtle tshirt quilt, and the pinwheel quilt along)

My problem is buying the stuff for projects and never starting them. Oh boy - a turtle applique, a pink/black, scruffily, blue/gold, black/yellow, flip flops, animal alphabet, love u...

Do they count as UFOs, WIPs, or what if you haven't cut the fabrict yet?