Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When Shipping Quilts or Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-shipping-quilts-blocks-t25480.html)

Joan 09-14-2009 10:20 PM

Thanks for the information, Amma.
I just did the same thing today and wonder if the box will come back to me! :mrgreen:
I covered the Priority Box with brown paper since I didn't have any other boxes to use and I didn't want to send it Priority Mail.

(last time I'll do that.............. :shock: )

amma 09-15-2009 01:55 AM

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you Joan!!! :wink:

quiltwoman 09-15-2009 02:26 AM

That's crazy... :roll:

Minda 09-15-2009 04:28 AM

Since the post office distributes the boxes free of charge, they would probably lose money if they didn't have some type of regulation regarding their use. They have no way of knowing if the box is new or used when it's wrapped in paper. If you're sending something by priority mail, anyway, getting a free box is a good deal. (Not trying to be argumentative - just looking at it from the company's viewpoint.)

sandpat 09-15-2009 05:35 AM

I've used one of those boxes before when I was in a jam and just had to have something. I broke it down though, turned it inside out and then taped it back together. Hope I don't go to jail for that!!!! :shock: :shock:

mimisharon 09-15-2009 05:36 AM

They do give us fits, don't they? One postal clerk won't let brown paper wrapped boxes through at all and one will help tape the paper down. Makes me crazy with all their rules and lack of being specific!

Hugs,
Sharon

quiltingmimipj 09-15-2009 06:02 AM

Amma,

Thank you for this advice. I have some priority boxes sitting here thinking that I would do the same thing that you have done. This is another example of why our government operations are not profitable.

Recycle bin? Imagine that.

Mousie 09-15-2009 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
That really seems silly. If you wrapped it in brown paper what difference did it make. Like so many things they are hurting themselves with their silly rules. They need to worry about their competition.......or they may put themselves out of business.

yup. Bc I have thought of doing this very thing. I had no idea...I believe most things are out of not knowing.
Won't be doing this now, AND, gonna check out those Fedx prices, too. Thanks, Amma, ol' pal! :lol:

Tink's Mom 09-15-2009 06:42 AM

A lot of this depends on the Postal Branch that you go to....I will NOT go to the one that my mail comes out of, the people are rude and just snap at customers. I'll never forget the time I paid with a $5 for something and received my change in stamps, because she was nearly out of change. What can you do with a bunch of 5 cent and 10cent stamps???

I just wanted to comment about turning the box inside out...can't do it anymore...they have writing all over the inside of the box, too.

I keep 2 of each size that I would use here at all times for my shipping needs. When I use one, I get another. This system has worked for a few years......

quiltingmimipj 09-15-2009 06:46 AM

Well, I just read every word on my box that I have on hand (a used one at that), and nowhere does it say that you may not reuse it. It does say, "Please recycle." Maybe that means use it again to me. Tell them to be specific.

The inside of mine is just cardboard -- no printing on it.