Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you do your cutting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-do-your-cutting-t176696.html)

turner0106 01-23-2012 12:50 PM

Where do you do your cutting?

I am new to quilting. I cut my first quilt out yesterday using a rotary cutter. However, it was not the most comfortable place to cut. So I was curious where all of you cut at and how comfortable it is?

Thanks
Diane

Linda1 01-23-2012 12:53 PM

I have a small kitchen table in my sewing room that is built up on blocks of wood. Before I got this table I did it on the kitchen counter. I can't stay bent over a table for long. My 65 year old back can't take it. LOL

ckcowl 01-23-2012 12:55 PM

so...where did you do your cutting that was uncomfortable?
i cut all of my fabrics in my sewing room on my cutting table. it is not necessarily uncomfortable- not sure what the problem was-
it is important to use a table that is the correct height for you though- and never try to use your rotory cutter while sitting down- you should be standing at your cutting table.
there are videos and tutorials about proper ergonomics in the sewing room- you may need to check them out-
just do a search for sewing room ergonomics.

Lynnie25 01-23-2012 01:01 PM

I do all my cutting on the kitchen counter too, it is just the right height and my big cutting mat fits perfectly on it. I also have my sewing machine permanently set up in the dining room right alongside my kitchen counter so have the perfect set up.

3incollege 01-23-2012 01:01 PM

I use a cutting that I got from JoAnn's if you use a dining table or a banquet table you can use bed risers to give the right height.

karenpatrick 01-23-2012 01:07 PM

I use a 3' X 8' banquet table.

turner0106 01-23-2012 01:10 PM

I did mine at the kitchen table. I did stand but it did make my back hurt. But I also had to lay it out on the floor so I'm sure my 50 yr old back wasn't happy with that either. So that leads to the next question where do you lay your quilt out at?

Thanks for your responses.
Diane

smcfadden 01-23-2012 01:14 PM

I have an old light table that I bought for stained glass. It's about 40" high which is higher than recommended, but it works okay for me. I took out the light and glass and bought a piece of tiling cement backing board at Home Depot for the top. It's very durable and I don't have to worry about hurting anything. I've got a mat on top of that.

Shelbie 01-23-2012 01:16 PM

i use the kitchen table most of the time as it is the right height for a short person and is in front of the patio door so I have excellent light. In my sewing room, I have an old desk that works well for the height but the light is not as good. I don't cut for long periods of time there. I like to cut first thing in the morning when I am alert and the light is great. Cutting at night is seldom a good idea for me.

Charlee 01-23-2012 01:16 PM

Hi Diane, from another "Turner" :)

I have a combination bookcase/table that I got for my sewing room...it's high enough that I don't have to bend over at all.