Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you do your cutting?

Where do you do your cutting?

I am new to quilting. I cut my first quilt out yesterday using a rotary cutter. However, it was not the most comfortable place to cut. So I was curious where all of you cut at and how comfortable it is?

Thanks
    Diane

I have a small kitchen table in my sewing room that is built up on blocks of wood. Before I got this table I did it on the kitchen counter. I can't stay bent over a table for long. My 65 year old back can't take it. LOL

Blog Entries
    so...where did you do your cutting that was uncomfortable?
    i cut all of my fabrics in my sewing room on my cutting table. it is not necessarily uncomfortable- not sure what the problem was-
    it is important to use a table that is the correct height for you though- and never try to use your rotory cutter while sitting down- you should be standing at your cutting table.
    there are videos and tutorials about proper ergonomics in the sewing room- you may need to check them out-
    just do a search for sewing room ergonomics.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I do all my cutting on the kitchen counter too, it is just the right height and my big cutting mat fits perfectly on it. I also have my sewing machine permanently set up in the dining room right alongside my kitchen counter so have the perfect set up.
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

I use a cutting that I got from JoAnn's if you use a dining table or a banquet table you can use bed risers to give the right height.
    Donna

I use a 3' X 8' banquet table.

I did mine at the kitchen table. I did stand but it did make my back hurt. But I also had to lay it out on the floor so I'm sure my 50 yr old back wasn't happy with that either. So that leads to the next question where do you lay your quilt out at?

Thanks for your responses.
    Diane

I have an old light table that I bought for stained glass. It's about 40" high which is higher than recommended, but it works okay for me. I took out the light and glass and bought a piece of tiling cement backing board at Home Depot for the top. It's very durable and I don't have to worry about hurting anything. I've got a mat on top of that.

i use the kitchen table most of the time as it is the right height for a short person and is in front of the patio door so I have excellent light. In my sewing room, I have an old desk that works well for the height but the light is not as good. I don't cut for long periods of time there. I like to cut first thing in the morning when I am alert and the light is great. Cutting at night is seldom a good idea for me.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    Hi Diane, from another "Turner"

I have a combination bookcase/table that I got for my sewing room...it's high enough that I don't have to bend over at all.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I cut out on my kitchen bench too...it's the right height and I don't have room for a separate cutting table. Also...makes me clean up the bench properly...lol.

When I want to baste my quilt I lay it on the dining table and let it hang over the edges while I baste.
    Blessings from Janice

I used to do my cutting on the kitchen table, but it's a little low and my back would start to hurt after awhile. Now I use the kitchen counter because it's the perfect height. The only downside is that I have to clear it off when it's time to make dinner!

Blog Entries
    Depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes I use the cutting table, sometimes the dining room table, and sometimes on a small fold up plastic table that is really sturdy.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer SM cabinet from the 70s that is oversized. It is an okay height at 31 inches. My 24 by 36 mats fits on the top. My granddaughter is taking the machine and I'm keeping the cabinet.

For laying the quilt out, I have a fleece design wall. I like seeing it vertical. When it's time to sandwich it, I use my dining room for small things and two or three 8 top tables pushed together at church for larger ones.
    Last edited by irishrose; 01-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.

I use a banquet table with extension legs my DH made for me out of PC pipe, removable when needed.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

I found a great little table at Sam's Club that has adjustable legs. Only $36 and the high setting is perfect for cutting.

My house has an open floor plan, so I prefer the dinning room table where I can keep an eye on all the action.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

I use the dining room table, because it has plenty of room for the 36 inch mat and all kinds of things I want right at hand. But...it is about 13 inches shy of being high enough...and I am not going to put risers under it....it's a dining room table, with a leaf it it, and it's huge. I just don't spend a lot of time all at once cutting, or my back tells me about it, as does my neck and shoulder.
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

Blog Entries
    I have a 2 1/2 foot countertop that I put a rotary mat on. It's a good height for standing while cutting.
    "A day patched with quilting seldom unravels."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C092AD2FC3.png

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    the cheapest and quickest adjustable table is to put a 1/2" (less will bend) pc of plywood on 2 adjustable ironing boards... you can have it trimmed to the biggest size you can fit in your cutting area or you can use the whole thing,,,, i trimmed mine to 6" (the lumber store will do this for you).... because then it slides under my queen size bed. i usually stand, but I can actually sit down and do small stuff if i like... just move the ironing boards down... you can find extra ironing boards at all kinds of garage sales for $2

Name:  photo-36.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  451.9 KB
    I use this old Science Table that I found at the Goodwill for $6.99. It is the perfect height and has great storage, the top is heat and cut resistant.

Blog Entries
    I have the bottom half of a computer desk (FROM GOODWILL FOR 7.00).........and I sit to cut (this old back doesnt do well to stand for too long at a time)..I find that sitting at this desk, it is very easy to do my rotary cutting......I have no problem with sitting to cut things out.

Blog Entries
    To save your back, the cutting table should be at least counter height. I do better with it a little higher. I bought an adjustable height table at Sam's Club and it's perfect for me. I don't cut as much as I use to using a rotary cutter since I bought the Accuquilt Go and buy a lot of precuts.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I use my freezer in the basement

I bought a kitchen island/counter from Ikea. It's a perfect height for me and it's sturdy. One thing I did and I have noticed some comfort, was I added an exercise mat to stand on so I wasn't standing on carpet/concrete for long periods of time - my sewing room is in my basement.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast