Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-dare-i-say-quilt-t163478.html)

wuv2quilt 10-26-2011 01:55 PM

I know that in days gone by making a quilt was often a matter of necessity. You had to keep the family warm, or freeze to death. Frequently, you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to go to your LQS, or actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
In this day and age most of us don’t HAVE to make a quilt for the necessity of it…we have central heat / air, gas logs, and usually more bed linens they we know what to do with.
This being said, I’d put a quilt on every bed in my home, (I just need to make enough to do that). I LOVE quilts! I enjoy the process of selecting my fabrics, color schemes, design / pattern layout, and most important, (to me), who the quilt is for.

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?

amandasgramma 10-26-2011 01:56 PM

Love of the craft
Love of challenging myself and expressing myself artistically. I used to do stained glass and painted and no one seemed to appreciate my products as much as they do the quilts.

alikat110 10-26-2011 01:56 PM

For the pleasure of it!
or, because I can....

Glassquilt 10-26-2011 01:57 PM

Love constructing something I've created.

erstan947 10-26-2011 01:57 PM

Just.....because!!:)

Patty Patches 10-26-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
I know that in days gone by making a quilt was often a matter of necessity. You had to keep the family warm, or freeze to death. Frequently, you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to go to your LQS, or actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
In this day and age most of us don’t HAVE to make a quilt for the necessity of it…we have central heat / air, gas logs, and usually more bed linens they we know what to do with.
This being said, I’d put a quilt on every bed in my home, (I just need to make enough to do that). I LOVE quilts! I enjoy the process of selecting my fabrics, color schemes, design / pattern layout, and most important, (to me), who the quilt is for.

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?

ALL the above

fabric_fancy 10-26-2011 01:58 PM

i'm an artist and my medium is fabric

wuv2quilt 10-26-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
For the pleasure of it!
or, because I can....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Would you believe I have a sign in my studio that says the same thing? I quilt, because I can. Great minds...

AZTeri 10-26-2011 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Just.....because!!:)

Ditto!

It's a creative outlet that is functional in addition to pretty :)

susie-susie-susie 10-26-2011 02:01 PM

I think quilting is my therapy. It is much cheaper that a psychiatrist. It makes me feel ilk an artist and it is relaxing.
Sue