Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wondering if Die-Cut quilting shapes would be of interest? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wondering-if-die-cut-quilting-shapes-would-interest-t207001.html)

DebraK 11-26-2012 04:25 PM

I love this picture of your shop. I'm going to give this some thought. I liked Bella's answer about batting. How big and how small, or complicated, can you go? What would a set-up charge entail?

Peckish 11-26-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5681566)
If you are looking to sell the pre-cut fabric shapes, my experience was that there was no interest, using their fabric or my own.

I pretty much agree with PaperPrincess - this was *almost* my answer, except then I remembered the Flynn laser-cut kits and Keepsake's shapes, so someone out there somewhere is buying. However, whether they're buying enough to justify the cost is another question.

Another direction to go if you're still wanting to pursue this is the scrapbooking market.

jemma 11-27-2012 01:42 AM

card stock hexagons diamonds etc for english paper piecing

simpsonfs 11-28-2012 04:10 AM

Cabbage Rose Quilt Shop in Fort Worth, Tx has a die cut machine of their own. They are making fused die cuts for their block of the month program. You need to visit with them. The fused applique shapes are new to the market made first by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts. Get input from them. They seem to be the "new" thing.

stchenfool 11-28-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5681540)
I think what you are asking is if we quilters think cutting out fabrics in different shapes for applique would be a good and viable business idea? It could, but the problem I foresee is that most quilters might want shapes cut of specific fabrics that go with their quilt. For instance, you might cut out thousands of oak leaves, but if the fabrics you picked don't go with my quilt, then I wouldn't buy them.

Having said that, there IS a market of sorts out there for precut shapes. John Flynn has laser-cut quilt kits for sale, they feature pre-cut fabrics and all you have to do is sew it up. As long as you like the fabrics Flynn has picked out, you're good to go.
http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho.../pre-cut-kits/

Keepsake Quilting sells groups of pre-cut shapes, including hearts, teddy bears, holiday shapes, etc.
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod....L1/Shapes.htm

Very Interested read! Thanks for all the coments!

KathyPhillips 11-28-2012 01:04 PM

Do you have a lot of assorted dies? Do you make dies that you don't have?
How can we get some cut by you?

sunny42539 11-28-2012 01:34 PM

I would love to have my quilt patterns pre-cut but I could not afford it.

Material Witness 11-28-2012 04:45 PM

Ages ago, before the invention of the rotary cutter, Keepsake Quilting sold kits that were all pre-cut. All of their kits were like that - at least, that's how I remember it. :-)

SteveH 11-29-2012 01:34 PM

Wow! thanks for all of the great feedback.

I will say I had no delusions of this being a good "money making scheme" mostly I just like making things and helping.

to Paperprincess: those are pretty cool. definitely made for the home market (which might well be all that is needed) but they are about halfway between a kitchen cookie cutter and the die rule stock this uses.

The capacity of the machine is 5/8" thickness (single or stacked) and can cut shapes up to 18"x12" with a single "hit" and larger dies by swinging it over one half doing a hit and then moving the head to cover the other half and doing a second hit. This particular unit began it's life working in a automobile upholstery factory, then moved on to doing purses and lastly making baby moccasins. I use it to make the leather bits for gauntlets used in modern medieval combats

I have a few dies now (purse patterns, baby moccasins, pennant flag, finishing up glove patterns now) and yes we make our own dies. I buy the 30" lengths of "blades" and bend them to the shape needed and then weld the ends closed.

I will try to do a quick video of the beastie in action this weekend.

thanks again for all of the feedback,
Steve

SteveH 11-29-2012 01:46 PM

Thanks for the shop comment.
It is a one car garage and the list of machines shoehorned in it is kind of fun:

Benchmaster 10 ton punch press
4 ton Kick press
"Clicker" press
Roper 36" treadle shear
Drill press
30" brake/roll/shear
Whitney #17 punch
Pneumatic hammer
Beverly Shears (bench mounted metal shear 14ga capacity)
Two buffers
Oxyacetylene torch
Anvil
Forming Stakes and stake plate
120 lb Eucalyptus Stump for forming into.
Triple burner propane forge
Micro "smelter"
spin caster for lost wax casting.
4' x 7' workbench.

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5681687)
I love this picture of your shop. I'm going to give this some thought. I liked Bella's answer about batting. How big and how small, or complicated, can you go? What would a set-up charge entail?