Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Woohoo!!! I have Jelly Rolls!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/woohoo-i-have-jelly-rolls-t39981.html)

brookemarie19 03-19-2010 03:53 AM

So I went to walmart to get my son some medicine and I decided to go by the fabric department. Well lucky for me to do that since they had their Jelly rolls on sale for $9!!! Needless to say I bought 7 of them and really wanted more. I was so proud of myself for holding back :lol: Now the only thing is to find out what to do with them... hmmm... I know I want a quilt that takes up one, but I have 6 more and no idea :oops: Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know of my good fortune :-D

brookemarie19 03-19-2010 04:10 AM

Does anyone think I could make a trip around the world quilt with these just use the strips instead of 4" strips? If so, How many do you think I would need to make one for a twin bed?

Nursesews 03-19-2010 04:14 AM

I am interested in any information you get also, I have two jelly rolls and a TAW would look great :D

Piedmont Quilter 03-19-2010 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
So I went to walmart to get my son some medicine and I decided to go by the fabric department. Well lucky for me to do that since they had their Jelly rolls on sale for $9!!! Needless to say I bought 7 of them and really wanted more. I was so proud of myself for holding back :lol: Now the only thing is to find out what to do with them... hmmm... I know I want a quilt that takes up one, but I have 6 more and no idea :oops: Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know of my good fortune :-D

Same thing happened to me!! All I could get was 3 though - that's all they had. Thinking about hitting another WM this weekend.

Up North 03-19-2010 04:36 AM

I hope you have better luck with your Walmart Jelly Rolls than I did they were all so crooked that the only way to use them was to cut them into small squares, They had them for $9.00 here too but I passed them up for the fat Quarter roll for 5.00 there are 8 bright blender fabrics, May have to go back and buy another kind today.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-19-2010 04:41 AM

Thanks for the info on Walmart, I'm heading there today. I will have to go and check them out.

brookemarie19 03-19-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I hope you have better luck with your Walmart Jelly Rolls than I did they were all so crooked that the only way to use them was to cut them into small squares, They had them for $9.00 here too but I passed them up for the fat Quarter roll for 5.00 there are 8 bright blender fabrics, May have to go back and buy another kind today.

I got one of the rolls too, just so pretty you can't resist!!

dgmoby 03-19-2010 05:39 AM

You can make a TRW with any size blocks desired. I would draw out the size of the quilt dimensions desired. Then it's an easy matter to divide out the number of inches wide by width of strips - seam allowances, for the total. Same for the length. You'll then be able to determine the number of blocks per strip, and the total number of strips.

Personally, I always take the short cut - I lay it out on the design wall/floor, and lay out the strips overlaping approximately for seam allowances, and then use that visual to help me count. But I'm not a quilter who must have perfect and exact numbers. I'm comfortable with knowing I can modify a pattern, if needed at the end, to alter the final deminsions.

Another thought - if you have something like EQ, graph paper, or even Excel, you can use that to do the same thing a tad more accurately for a pattern like this.

Sorry I don't have the info at hand to share, but still wanted to show you how I would do it if I didn't have any other resource handy.

Hope this helps. Great usage for the jelly rolls!

Jois 03-19-2010 06:13 AM

I just tripped across this "Strip Twist" picture on the 3rd page:

http://www.fabricexpressions.com/images/spring.pdf

It runs to a roll of 2.5" strips to make a (roughly) 40 x 60" quilt with a strip left over.

Jois

brookemarie19 03-19-2010 06:32 AM

I like that one :thumbup: Now I just have to find a pattern for it. Any more suggestions....