Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   worn to the bones (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worn-bones-t95192.html)

huntannette 01-30-2011 08:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys....have any of you ever had their quilts worn to the bones....lol Well I made this lapsize quilt for my 7 yr old DGD when she was a baby...made with batiks....but little did i know then that she would have so many allergies and that the quilt would be washed almost daily....have i know i would have chosen different fabrics altgough not too many can withstand so many washings...anyway she just loves her quilt and still sleeps with it every night...I had to beg and make promises just to borrow it one night so i could at least put a new binding on it...lol it is faded and has a lot of small holes but it must be saved for her sake...lol guess it is time i make her a new one...only problem i am a very slow quilter and i hand quilt my quilts...maybe i should try machine quilting for once...just scares me somehow....lol well off i go to put on a new binding,,,ty for listening....keep on smilling!!!

isnthatodd 01-30-2011 08:22 AM

Isn't it nice to have our quilts loved to death!!!

huntannette 01-30-2011 08:24 AM

sure is...lol this one won`t make it as a heirloom hahaha!!!!

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Isn't it nice to have our quilts loved to death!!!

leakus 01-30-2011 08:25 AM

Beautifull quilt and it deserves the time to fix it. As far as maching quiliting, go for it. Start with simple quilting. If stitch in the ditch doesn't work for you, just go with lines across or on the diagonal and as you get comfortable try free motion. I am not great with free motion but I do it on every quilt. What I usually do is try in a smaller sandwich to see if I can get my brain and hands synchronized to do what I have planned- then I go to my quilt.

Stitchnripper 01-30-2011 08:34 AM

I agree with leakus. Give it a shot!

GwynR 01-30-2011 08:43 AM

Add the new binding, and let her pick colors for a new one too! How wonderful she loves it so much!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-30-2011 09:08 AM

My youngest son has one that is basically a rag. It has been patched, darned anything I could do to hold it together. He is now 15, so he doesn't sleep with it anymore, but it lives in a drawer in his room and he has no intentions of parting with it.

Do whatever you can to fix it. She will love it, but I doubt you can make her a new one. New ones never seem to work.

quilter1943 01-30-2011 09:11 AM

I have a couple that I "fix" for my DD almost every year because they are used daily. The last time the fabric was getting worn in a few places so I appliqued hearts over the spots. They all thought it was awesome! I hand appliqued and went back over it with machine stitching. I usually just go back over the quilting by hand where it's come lose.

b.zang 01-30-2011 09:14 AM

When there's just a scrap of colour left and she packs it with her to university..............

hannajo 01-30-2011 10:13 AM

What a LOVE-ly quilt! That's a wonderful problem to have. Let us know what you decide to do.