Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would pinwheels work for this challenge quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-pinwheels-work-challenge-quilt-t98711.html)

Plain Jane 02-11-2011 07:40 AM

I am truly a newbie. I got my machine for Christmas. I joined a guild though and signed up for the challenge quilt. I will end up with 36 different 6.5 inch blocks. I think I'm allowed to add 1 yard of the fabric of my choice. Would the pinwheel project going on lend itself well to that challenge? I want to sign up but don't want to over commit to too many projects. Obviously the fabrics will have no coordination, we just have to use some of each fabric in our finished quilt.
Thanks!

sewwhat85 02-11-2011 08:08 AM

welcome that is the way to jump right in there

BKrenning 02-11-2011 11:15 AM

I joined a paper piecing swap when I was first learning to quilt. Nothing like pressure to make you stick with a project and learn how to make certain processes easier. I wasn't smart enough to join a guild where experienced help would have really smoothed out the learning curve, however.

AnnieH 02-11-2011 11:22 AM

Welcome from England. You're braver than I am. Good luck.

susiequilt 02-11-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
I am truly a newbie. I got my machine for Christmas. I joined a guild though and signed up for the challenge quilt. I will end up with 36 different 6.5 inch blocks. I think I'm allowed to add 1 yard of the fabric of my choice. Would the pinwheel project going on lend itself well to that challenge? I want to sign up but don't want to over commit to too many projects. Obviously the fabrics will have no coordination, we just have to use some of each fabric in our finished quilt.
Thanks!

If you could add 1 yard of your fabric that was a coordinating solid or white on white, cream on white or light colored tone on tone it would work.
If the other 36 pieces of fabric you get were at least 6" to start, you could cut out 6" blocks from that fabric and have 36 pieces. Then cut 36 - 6" blocks from your light fabric and make pinwheels.
Size will depend on whether the 6.5" is finished or unfinished!

With pinwheels it works great for scrappy as long as you have light and dark colors. With a true scrappy they don't even need to be light and dark.
HTH

bev195000 02-11-2011 12:11 PM

The pinwheel blocks are on of my favourite my profile pic shows a pinwheel quilt i did a while ago
It is a pure joy to do

Plain Jane 02-11-2011 12:38 PM

Thanks for your input. I'll find out the details of the challenge at the next meeting and if my quilt turns out, I'll post a picture. :)

Dani 02-11-2011 06:24 PM

YES! If your fabrics are 6-1/2" squares, you could trim them down to 5" (two sides), your other fabric (1 yard) could be white or off white, or whatever color you want to use, as long as it contrasts with the 6-1/2" fabrics.

The 1-1/2 inch you cut off from the 6-1/2" block could be sewn together and create a 1" border around the pinwheels. Then create a border of the same white or offwhite fabric and then you could choose a binding fabric that would tie everything in together. That would make a cute quilt!

don't know, though, if you will have enough 1-1/2" scraps to make that border around the pinwheels????

good luck on this and, most importantly......have fun!