Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would pinwheels work for this challenge quilt? >

Would pinwheels work for this challenge quilt?

Would pinwheels work for this challenge quilt?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM

I am truly a newbie. I got my machine for Christmas. I joined a guild though and signed up for the challenge quilt. I will end up with 36 different 6.5 inch blocks. I think I'm allowed to add 1 yard of the fabric of my choice. Would the pinwheel project going on lend itself well to that challenge? I want to sign up but don't want to over commit to too many projects. Obviously the fabrics will have no coordination, we just have to use some of each fabric in our finished quilt.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM

welcome that is the way to jump right in there
Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 AM

I joined a paper piecing swap when I was first learning to quilt. Nothing like pressure to make you stick with a project and learn how to make certain processes easier. I wasn't smart enough to join a guild where experienced help would have really smoothed out the learning curve, however.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Welcome from England. You're braver than I am. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
I am truly a newbie. I got my machine for Christmas. I joined a guild though and signed up for the challenge quilt. I will end up with 36 different 6.5 inch blocks. I think I'm allowed to add 1 yard of the fabric of my choice. Would the pinwheel project going on lend itself well to that challenge? I want to sign up but don't want to over commit to too many projects. Obviously the fabrics will have no coordination, we just have to use some of each fabric in our finished quilt.
Thanks!
If you could add 1 yard of your fabric that was a coordinating solid or white on white, cream on white or light colored tone on tone it would work.
If the other 36 pieces of fabric you get were at least 6" to start, you could cut out 6" blocks from that fabric and have 36 pieces. Then cut 36 - 6" blocks from your light fabric and make pinwheels.
Size will depend on whether the 6.5" is finished or unfinished!

With pinwheels it works great for scrappy as long as you have light and dark colors. With a true scrappy they don't even need to be light and dark.
HTH
Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM

The pinwheel blocks are on of my favourite my profile pic shows a pinwheel quilt i did a while ago
It is a pure joy to do
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Thanks for your input. I'll find out the details of the challenge at the next meeting and if my quilt turns out, I'll post a picture. :)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM

YES! If your fabrics are 6-1/2" squares, you could trim them down to 5" (two sides), your other fabric (1 yard) could be white or off white, or whatever color you want to use, as long as it contrasts with the 6-1/2" fabrics.

The 1-1/2 inch you cut off from the 6-1/2" block could be sewn together and create a 1" border around the pinwheels. Then create a border of the same white or offwhite fabric and then you could choose a binding fabric that would tie everything in together. That would make a cute quilt!

don't know, though, if you will have enough 1-1/2" scraps to make that border around the pinwheels????

good luck on this and, most importantly......have fun!