Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yellow Brick Road Quilting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellow-brick-road-quilting-t68669.html)

ibeesewin 10-06-2010 09:09 AM

I am in the process of stitching a yellow brick road quilt. I like to think ahead or I sometimes give up.
I would like to do the quilting myself (FM), and something other then stippling.
Any ideas? :idea:

Sadiemae 10-06-2010 09:10 AM

Can you post a pic of your fabrics. Sometimes that can give me an idea for my quilts.

Jim's Gem 10-06-2010 09:18 AM

Yellow brick road is a good one if you just want to quilt diagonally with a fancy stitch or something.

ibeesewin 10-06-2010 04:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are photo's of some of the fabrics. I didn't purchase fat quarters, I am trying to use fabric in my stash. So there are still a few that I haven't cut yet.
They will all be in this general color scheme though.

yellow brick road fab_1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95921[/ATTACH]

yellow brick road fab_2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95922[/ATTACH]

ibeesewin 10-06-2010 04:35 PM

You mean using a fancy stitch on my machine instead of FMQ..?
Hmmm...never gave that a thought. I guess I always connect the fancy stitches with crazy quilting.
I like this idea. :thumbup:

RST 10-06-2010 05:15 PM

The first thing I would want to think through is thread color. Are you going to go with a neutral, try to match the fabric in each block, or go with something striking/contrasty that calls attention to the quiliting?

My approach is to take a photo of the completed quilt top, print it out full page size, and then doodle some ideas for free motion quilting. I don't actually mark the quilt top -- I just go into it with some idea of what I'm going to do, and have at it.

RST

brenda21 10-06-2010 05:19 PM

ybr is one of my favorite patterns and I don't know why, but I really like the way it looks with a simple SID :)

judee0624 10-06-2010 05:22 PM

:-D Hi
It would be easy enough to do loops all over in a yellow variegated thread. What color is your backing though?

judee

ibeesewin 10-06-2010 05:35 PM

THIS...is exactly why I am a member of this group. What great ideas everyone has.
I like the variegated thread suggestion...and, I think I want the quilting to really show up.
Such a great tip to print out the finished top and then doodle. I could also doodle with the color then as well.
I haven't decided on the backing or border as of yet. I will have to purchase that as I know I don't have any pieces large enough in my stash.
I am shooting for a queen...although, I may be shooting myself when it comes to the quilting. :shock:
Thanks for all the suggestions...I know with all of your help it will turn out great.

Jim's Gem 10-06-2010 05:43 PM

Your fabrics are beautiful. I love using Variegated thread and use it most of the time
I have a great stitch on my machine that I love to use in diagonal stitching, I reverse it every other stitch and love the look.