Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Yellow Brick Road Quilting???

I am in the process of stitching a yellow brick road quilt. I like to think ahead or I sometimes give up.
    I would like to do the quilting myself (FM), and something other then stippling.
    Any ideas? :idea:

Blog Entries
    Can you post a pic of your fabrics. Sometimes that can give me an idea for my quilts.

Yellow brick road is a good one if you just want to quilt diagonally with a fancy stitch or something.

Here are photo's of some of the fabrics. I didn't purchase fat quarters, I am trying to use fabric in my stash. So there are still a few that I haven't cut yet.
    They will all be in this general color scheme though.

yellow brick road fab_1
    Name:  Attachment-95916.jpe
Views: 350
Size:  46.3 KB

yellow brick road fab_2
    Name:  Attachment-95917.jpe
Views: 287
Size:  42.6 KB

You mean using a fancy stitch on my machine instead of FMQ..?
    Hmmm...never gave that a thought. I guess I always connect the fancy stitches with crazy quilting.
    I like this idea. :thumbup:

RST
    Blog Entries
    The first thing I would want to think through is thread color. Are you going to go with a neutral, try to match the fabric in each block, or go with something striking/contrasty that calls attention to the quiliting?

My approach is to take a photo of the completed quilt top, print it out full page size, and then doodle some ideas for free motion quilting. I don't actually mark the quilt top -- I just go into it with some idea of what I'm going to do, and have at it.

RST

ybr is one of my favorite patterns and I don't know why, but I really like the way it looks with a simple SID :)

:-D Hi
    It would be easy enough to do loops all over in a yellow variegated thread. What color is your backing though?

judee

THIS...is exactly why I am a member of this group. What great ideas everyone has.
    I like the variegated thread suggestion...and, I think I want the quilting to really show up.
    Such a great tip to print out the finished top and then doodle. I could also doodle with the color then as well.
    I haven't decided on the backing or border as of yet. I will have to purchase that as I know I don't have any pieces large enough in my stash.
    I am shooting for a queen...although, I may be shooting myself when it comes to the quilting. :shock:
    Thanks for all the suggestions...I know with all of your help it will turn out great.

Your fabrics are beautiful. I love using Variegated thread and use it most of the time
    I have a great stitch on my machine that I love to use in diagonal stitching, I reverse it every other stitch and love the look.

I visited a quilt shop in Albuquerque that was absolutely gorgeous. The quilts they had on display were works of art. One quilt I particularly was interested in had a zig zag stitch sewn down each seam in place of SID. I wish I had made a picture, but I am going to try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Your fabrics are beautiful. I love using Variegated thread and use it most of the time
    I have a great stitch on my machine that I love to use in diagonal stitching, I reverse it every other stitch and love the look.
    Mind sharing your secret stitch with us? I'm intrigued.

Thanks,

Blog Entries
    if you like the idea of yellow varigated thread I would look for a backing that would do with that something floral or a design that I could quilt around and do upside down quilting to follow the design

dls
    I just finished quilting a yellow brick road. I used a bright colored thread and quilted diagonally 3 inches apart. I am pleased with the result.

I made a blue and yellow YBR and had it quilted (I won free LA quilting from a website) with hearts and loops. With straight-line blocks, it's usually best to quilt with a design that has curves :)

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

Thanks,
    Just saw this (I don't get e-mails right now)
    I am at work and don't have access to my pictures. However I am leaving right after work for a long weekend in San Francisco for a wedding. I know I show the stitch in some of my pictures of quilts in the past. If I can i will post when I get home but I don't think I will have time. I have only about 45 min to pack and get on the road.

Thanks,
    I am at work and don't have access to my pictures. However I am leaving right after work for a long weekend in San Francisco for a wedding. I know I show the stitch in some of my pictures of quilts in the past. If I can i will post when I get home but I don't think I will have time. I have only about 45 min to pack and get on the road.
    Have a wonderful weekend. I'll take a pic at some of your pics and see if I can see what you're referring to.

Thanks,

Thanks,
    I wish I could somehow draw it for you. It looks kinda like a curve with a circle in it and then reversed every other stitch.

Try this, 3rd picture down
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54980-1.htm

AMAZING! That's the same quilt of yours I just bookmarked!! Two great minds, ha ha. :thumbup: I figured by your explanation that was probably the stitch you were talking about. Yay! Now, I'll have to go see if any of my machines have anything similar to this.

Thanks so very much!! I really appreciate it! :D

Thanks,
    Have a great weekend. Weddings are always so much fun. Everyone is completely happy for the day.
    I love the loop stitching in the link you sent. I was not sure what was meant by diagonal quilting but your pictures show it plain as day. It looks like it would be fairly easy to do.
    I also like the decorative stitch that you did over the border/quilt edge.
    I am getting so many good ideas.
    Thanks everyone...I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibeesewin
    I am in the process of stitching a yellow brick road quilt. I like to think ahead or I sometimes give up.
    I would like to do the quilting myself (FM), and something other then stippling.
    Any ideas? :idea:
    I have all my squares stitched together...now I have to lay them out on the floor. Wish I had a big enough (bare) wall to hang felt.
    In Wisconsin right now with NO sewing machine. Guess I shouldn't complain at least I have computer connection.
    Will be posting pics for help with different layouts.