Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-social-classes-lone-homebody-quilter-t20285.html)

Butterfli19 05-18-2009 03:07 PM

I guess I'm a loner, fabric related and otherwise. However, I did discover 3 new to me quilt shops about 1/2 hour from my house last weekend. One of them offers classes. There is another quilt shop 10 minutes from me and she offers classes as well. 4 quilt shops near me! Oh no! :wink:

I know I can do these things on my own so I started wondering...do experienced women take classes to learn or to socialize? The classes are $25 each session and one is a two-session bargello jacket, and it's gorgeous! But $50? (You know what I'm thinking...I could spend that $50 on fabric!)

So...do you take classes? Have you? What has your experience been? If you haven't, why not?

judee0624 05-18-2009 03:12 PM

Hey Nancy,
I have taken classes, in order to learn something new. I am mainly a lone sewist, preferring to work on my own at home. The LQSes near me offer Sit n Sew time where you can go and work on projects and get help if you need it. I don't do those. I only go if I need help or, as I said, to learn something new. I get distracted by conversation. That's why I prefer to work alone, at home, but it is fun to be with others sometimes. Good luck!
judee

Chele 05-18-2009 03:15 PM

I've been a loner except for blogs and this Quilting Board. There is a local guild I could join, but I'm terrified of quilt police! LOL! I'm sure they would be fine. I just need to jump in. And I would love to take some classes. I'm self-taught, so I'm sure I would benefit from hands-on teaching.

kluedesigns 05-18-2009 03:16 PM

loner quilter too.

i'd rather buy a workshop on dvd/cd then take a class. the dvd i will have forever to refer to while a class is short lived and soon forgotten.

RedGarnet222 05-18-2009 03:18 PM

I am for the most part self taught. I read lots of the magazines and books.

Yes I have taken classes, it is like you say very nice to socialize with women who enjoy quiting. I have learned a thing or two there, so it is never a loss.

But, for the most part, I am a semi-loner when it comes to quilting. My next door neighbor is a quilter, we have yet to have a sewing session together but, we enjoy sharing patterns and fabric. I always go to the shows, that is way too much fun to miss.

I think belonging to a group is well worth the money. They have guest speakers and teach some new methods during the meetings. Lots of networking there too. I know they get a discount at the local shops and shows too.

genghis khan 05-18-2009 03:31 PM

Mostly i play all by myself but im becoming very social, ill tell you a funny little thing that happend to me i took my quilt to a local shop here and the women in there went wild for it i got soo much attention i thought i was gonna have a panik attack i thought for some reason it would just be me and the lady who runs the place there only but i was wrong and all was well anyways i say go for the classes im gonna learn garments here some day. Chris

QuiltyLisa 05-18-2009 03:37 PM

I am pretty much a loner, or a hermit quilter as my DH calls me. I am self taught,via books, videos and calling my BFF in Michigan who is a quilter and having her walk me through a technique over the phone or skype. Besides my BFF all you wonderful folks are my Quilty associations. I did just sign up for a machine quilting class for next month at a quilt shop a town over. Thats the major extent of it for me.

Lisa

Piedmont Quilter 05-18-2009 03:42 PM

I am a lone quilter. Just read books, look on internet and of course gain a wealth of knowledge from this board. I knew how to sew before taking Home Ec in high school (frankly I was more advanced than the teacher).

I may take a class some day - I would love to be able to machine quilt, but do not have the space or $ for that right now.

Up North 05-18-2009 03:43 PM

I am a self taught loner! I do spend way to much time (if that's posssible) on this board. I share my work with a couple of quilters at work but have never taken a class. There is nothing within 50 miles of here anyway.

thstarfish 05-18-2009 03:46 PM

I started by taking classes at a local quilt shop to learn some of the basics. Helped me quite a bit and it was fun seeing how we all took the same pattern and the finished products were all so different - depending on fabric, colors, etc.
I have a neighbor who quilts and we try to get together once or twice a month to work on projects. I find scheduling time with others works best for me. Even if I work on them at home in -between, the show and tell is fun