Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter?

I guess I'm a loner, fabric related and otherwise. However, I did discover 3 new to me quilt shops about 1/2 hour from my house last weekend. One of them offers classes. There is another quilt shop 10 minutes from me and she offers classes as well. 4 quilt shops near me! Oh no! :wink:

I know I can do these things on my own so I started wondering...do experienced women take classes to learn or to socialize? The classes are $25 each session and one is a two-session bargello jacket, and it's gorgeous! But $50? (You know what I'm thinking...I could spend that $50 on fabric!)

So...do you take classes? Have you? What has your experience been? If you haven't, why not?

Hey Nancy,
    I have taken classes, in order to learn something new. I am mainly a lone sewist, preferring to work on my own at home. The LQSes near me offer Sit n Sew time where you can go and work on projects and get help if you need it. I don't do those. I only go if I need help or, as I said, to learn something new. I get distracted by conversation. That's why I prefer to work alone, at home, but it is fun to be with others sometimes. Good luck!
    judee

I've been a loner except for blogs and this Quilting Board. There is a local guild I could join, but I'm terrified of quilt police! LOL! I'm sure they would be fine. I just need to jump in. And I would love to take some classes. I'm self-taught, so I'm sure I would benefit from hands-on teaching.

Banned
    loner quilter too.

i'd rather buy a workshop on dvd/cd then take a class. the dvd i will have forever to refer to while a class is short lived and soon forgotten.

I am for the most part self taught. I read lots of the magazines and books.

Yes I have taken classes, it is like you say very nice to socialize with women who enjoy quiting. I have learned a thing or two there, so it is never a loss.

But, for the most part, I am a semi-loner when it comes to quilting. My next door neighbor is a quilter, we have yet to have a sewing session together but, we enjoy sharing patterns and fabric. I always go to the shows, that is way too much fun to miss.

I think belonging to a group is well worth the money. They have guest speakers and teach some new methods during the meetings. Lots of networking there too. I know they get a discount at the local shops and shows too.

Mostly i play all by myself but im becoming very social, ill tell you a funny little thing that happend to me i took my quilt to a local shop here and the women in there went wild for it i got soo much attention i thought i was gonna have a panik attack i thought for some reason it would just be me and the lady who runs the place there only but i was wrong and all was well anyways i say go for the classes im gonna learn garments here some day. Chris

I am pretty much a loner, or a hermit quilter as my DH calls me. I am self taught,via books, videos and calling my BFF in Michigan who is a quilter and having her walk me through a technique over the phone or skype. Besides my BFF all you wonderful folks are my Quilty associations. I did just sign up for a machine quilting class for next month at a quilt shop a town over. Thats the major extent of it for me.

Lisa

I am a lone quilter. Just read books, look on internet and of course gain a wealth of knowledge from this board. I knew how to sew before taking Home Ec in high school (frankly I was more advanced than the teacher).

I may take a class some day - I would love to be able to machine quilt, but do not have the space or $ for that right now.

I am a self taught loner! I do spend way to much time (if that's posssible) on this board. I share my work with a couple of quilters at work but have never taken a class. There is nothing within 50 miles of here anyway.

I started by taking classes at a local quilt shop to learn some of the basics. Helped me quite a bit and it was fun seeing how we all took the same pattern and the finished products were all so different - depending on fabric, colors, etc.
    I have a neighbor who quilts and we try to get together once or twice a month to work on projects. I find scheduling time with others works best for me. Even if I work on them at home in -between, the show and tell is fun

I haven't taken any classes, my reasons are 1- I'm a tight wad, 2- no quilt shops in the area, 3- no time

Blog Entries
    And yet another lone quilter. Self taught for the most part. I have taken a couple of classes on machine quilting and 1 class from Libby Lehman. The shop that offers the classes is not all that close to me, but it was fun to go. I always combine the class with a shopping spree..so it gets quite expensive. Some of the same people show up for the classes, so I kinda met them, but I only see them at the rare shop visit.

This board is the most socialization that I get...scary isn't it??

I love to quilt in a group but I do quilt by myself. I love to be yacking with friends while I am quilting.

I havn't taken many classes because of working and no time and the money factor. I would like to take some someday. Most of my sewing I do at home, however I have a great group of quilty friends from church and we get together once a month an quilt an also go on quilt runs and shows together and even shop together now and then. I love being with my friends and we are so great at helping each other pick out that perfect fabric choice or pattern or whatever. Of course we are also really good and getting each other to buy stuff we think the other needs.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a lone quilter, but I used to teach classes!! Go figure! I had one BFF who I would get together with and quilt, but she passed away about 11 years ago. I tend to listen to books on CD and quilt the day away...no conversations (other than with myself!!!! :lol: ) I love attending quilt shows, but again, by myself, so I can go as fast or slow as I want...hmmm, maybe I NEED to get out more with people!!! I see a trend going on here!! lol

I'm a lone quilter. Never had a class. Taught myself.

The "quilt police" scare me, too. My piecing may not be good enough. My quilting may not be good enough... I really do worry about what other people think about my skills, etc...

I've taken classes and some of them were quite good. But I HATE dragging my big machine around or I'd take more! I also don't much care for the idea of people watching me sew. Silly, huh?

My first class (outside of home ec in grade school) was a 2 1/2 day class on Heirloom Sewing given by Martha Pullen teachers. Did NOT know what I was getting myself into. By the end of the second day, I left in tears. The other girls were so fast and self-assured and I just didn't have a clue. Felt like an idiot I did return the next morning though and did fine! (I still have the certificate stating I completed this class framed and hanging in my sewing room....it's dated Sept. 1999)

I'm a hermit quilter too... maybe we need to start a new group! LOL

I read a lot of tutorials and information on the web, as well as books, magazines, pretty much anything I can get my hands on. But I've done a couple of classes too. My first ever was an absolute laugh, the whole day was filled with laughter, cake, sewing, and fun. It was a great group of people, with a tutor who wanted to have a good time too. I've taken another class where I got a lot of really good information and tips, but wasn't nearly as much fun and everyone was serious and focused.

I'm a lot more productive on my own, in a group I tend to talk too much and fall behind, or not pay attention and make mistakes. But if you get the right bunch of people together, you can't beat a class. :-)

I am a loner, no classes near here, but probably wouldn't have the nerve to take one.

I have lots and lots of books and even more magazines, i love going through them. never have made a quilt that I don't change the pattern some, always thinking what can I do different. Sometimes a quilt starts one way and then I have to change it, can't help myself, don't think that would be good in a class! :lol: :lol: I tend to get lost in my own little world when planning a quilt, and wouldn't hear if someone were talking to me. The "Quilt Police", scare me, all I could do to post my quilt on here, :lol: :lol: when I put them on my blog, it doesn't matter if people don't like them I don't know it.

This board is the most socialization I have gotten with fellow quilters and I think it has been good for me! :oops: :oops:

Ninnie

classes.......
    Never having been around any quilters- ever, I did take some classes to learn the basics. Then my daily Great Fatigue started when I got Rheumatoid Arthritis and I found out, twice, that I cannot make it through a class. After that, I stuck with familiar patterns. Eventually, I began to try new, easy patterns I found, so my repetoire has broadened somewhat. My opinion is that classes are valuable for the beginner with nobody who can teach basic techniques. For example, I don't think I ever would've thought of chain-piecing on my own. After beginnerhood, a class is useful to learn newer or more difficult methods or patterns.
    socializing ......
    Before RA I also went to a LQS block of the month lesson and a monthly gathering to group quilt for local homeless shelters. I had to stop those too. So now, all of you are my only quilter friends, for whom I'm very grateful. I still have much to learn. It's really too bad I didn't start earlier in life instead of at age 50. I only had 2 years before things changed so much for me. I could've already learned so much by now. Well, at least I'm back to quilting and I found you to chat with and learn from... yeaaay! I've already learned new block patterns on the BOM here. (I know, I know, I'm supposed to post photos... and I will as soon as I can borrow a camera and learn how). Besides this great opportunity here, I think that socialization might be better obtained instead of classes, from clubs or friends and Quilt Retreats (sound so fun!).
    Cathy

I am completely self taught!
    I bought a book and the result wasn't too bad!
    I hadn't sewn for years. Other than that, I get books and magazines and try, try again.
    Till I met these wonderful people on this board, I have never had any "instruction" nor "advice".
    I don't take classes because I used to work nights and that's when the classes were or now that I have moved, seems the classes are in the afternoons and now I work days.
    Plus I am a bit intimidated with classes. They seemed to be filled with quilt police, clickish and not too accomadating to new faces.
    No worries.
    I just quilt along. My goal is not to make award winning quilts, just snuggly, feel good blankets.
    Kirsten

I have taken classes to learn new techniques and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I have taken a machine applique class, a free motion machine quilting class, a hand quilting class and a kaleidoscope quilt class-all offered at quilt shops. When I was a guild member we had classes that were offered for members and they were always a lot of fun too. I am not a social quilter for the most part, but I have had the opportunity to go on quilting retreats with friends and had a great time there too. The vast majority of my quilting is done in my quilt room all by myself-not even the radio or TV on. I enjoy the tranquility of getting lost in my creative thoughts.

I'm a loner quilter too. I would like to take some of the classes offered at my fabric store, but I work 12 hour shifts and my days off vary. It would be impossible to take anything except a one day class. Oh well, I would rather spend the money on fabric and quilt at home with my music playing. That really relaxes me.

I would love to be a social quilter but unfortunately don't know of any guilds.

Kyia

Blog Entries
    I also am a hermit quilter... never had any classes although I think I might enjoy it, but I am too shy :oops: Afraid of what others might think , so I just keep to myself . My socializing comes here on the board, where no one critizes (spelling) us :lol: . I love to read the books and look at magazines.
    Sharon

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast