Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter? >

Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter?

Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:04 PM

I am completely self taught!
I bought a book and the result wasn't too bad!
I hadn't sewn for years. Other than that, I get books and magazines and try, try again.
Till I met these wonderful people on this board, I have never had any "instruction" nor "advice".
I don't take classes because I used to work nights and that's when the classes were or now that I have moved, seems the classes are in the afternoons and now I work days.
Plus I am a bit intimidated with classes. They seemed to be filled with quilt police, clickish and not too accomadating to new faces.
No worries.
I just quilt along. My goal is not to make award winning quilts, just snuggly, feel good blankets.
Kirsten
Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM

I have taken classes to learn new techniques and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I have taken a machine applique class, a free motion machine quilting class, a hand quilting class and a kaleidoscope quilt class-all offered at quilt shops. When I was a guild member we had classes that were offered for members and they were always a lot of fun too. I am not a social quilter for the most part, but I have had the opportunity to go on quilting retreats with friends and had a great time there too. The vast majority of my quilting is done in my quilt room all by myself-not even the radio or TV on. I enjoy the tranquility of getting lost in my creative thoughts.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I'm a loner quilter too. I would like to take some of the classes offered at my fabric store, but I work 12 hour shifts and my days off vary. It would be impossible to take anything except a one day class. Oh well, I would rather spend the money on fabric and quilt at home with my music playing. That really relaxes me.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM

I would love to be a social quilter but unfortunately don't know of any guilds.

Kyia
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I also am a hermit quilter... never had any classes although I think I might enjoy it, but I am too shy :oops: Afraid of what others might think , so I just keep to myself . My socializing comes here on the board, where no one critizes (spelling) us :lol: . I love to read the books and look at magazines.
Sharon
Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 PM

I'd like to add to my answer.

Although I do all my quilting at home, I'm not really alone.... I quilt with dogs and birds!

My little dog passed away in Jan but I get pet therapy sessions whenever one of my daughters lets me petsit her little dog. Last weekend I had little Ema, a minature Rat Terrier and this whole week, I have little Nobi, a Chiuaoxiepin (chiuahua, doxie(dachsund), mini pincher). They either lie by me or in my Sunny's crate that I left under my cutting table. And then I still have one remaining old bird, 18yr old cockatiel, Pepper. He's active, friendly, and comes out to supervise my quilting with great interest. So, you see, I'm not truly a loner quilter!
Cathy

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 AM

I guess I'm in the majority here. I'm also a lone quilter - self taught, sit in my sewing room and listen to music or the TV. There are a number of nice quilt shops within 30-45 minutes of me that offer classes, but I like puttering around at my own pace knowing that I have everything I need (I KNOW I'd forget something if I went to a class! ) Plus, quilt police scare me. :shock: Every once in a while I think that it'd be nice to go to a class to learn a new technique, but then I talk myself out of it and look for a tute online!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 AM

Lone quilter. Self taught all the way.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 AM

Chris ~ Which LQS did you go to? Mission Rose, Patchwork Plus, or Calico Gals? Was it the Clockworks quilt? BTW, When it comes to learning garment sewing, there is a gal called Nina who teaches at Calico Gals and she is very good at garment, utility sewing. Upholstery, too.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 AM

Chris ~ Which LQS did you go to? Mission Rose, Patchwork Plus, or Calico Gals? Was it the Clockworks quilt? BTW, When it comes to learning garment sewing, there is a gal called Nina who teaches at Calico Gals and she is very good at garment, utility sewing. Upholstery, too.

I like to attend classes to learn new things, as Im a visual hands-on learner. But I sew & quilt better in solitary mode. I work at a slower pace than most, so the group thing can be frustrating for me. I kind of like to get lost in my own little world at home when I'm creating.