Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your honest opinions on batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-honest-opinions-batting-t175223.html)

paulina 01-11-2012 12:48 PM

I am firmly sold on Hobbs 80/20 for everything! I used to use all poly but my machine hates it and my fmq does not come out right at all.

ckcowl 01-11-2012 01:33 PM

I LOVE the batts from the Dream company- the Dream Wool is my all time favorite- wonderful to work with, is lightweight & lofty.
dream poly is great for utility/kids quilts
dream orient, dream bamboo, and dream green are all very nice to use- I love them all-
when i can not find a dream batt i go with Hobbs Heirloom cotton or 80/20.

oh munner 01-11-2012 01:57 PM

My favorite batting, and the one I have used for years, is Warm and Natural. I've also, on occasion, used Quilters Dream, which I also like, but don't find it to be as heavy. I only use cotton, no polyester. Yes, I know that W&N has a poly scrim in it, but hardly enough to make a difference. Hope this help you.

susie-susie-susie 01-11-2012 02:18 PM

I like warm & natural and use it for everything. I like that it can be quilted 10 inches apart and I like the way it crinkles when you wash and dry it.
Sue

MadQuilter 01-11-2012 03:02 PM

I mostly use Warm and Natural or Warm and White because I like the way it feels and the way it handles. I can leave larger areas unquilted and it still holds its shape. My oldest quilt is soft as silk by now so this batting washes beautifully. I also like the antique look.

Next I use the Hobbs 80/20. It seems to drape a bit better than W&N.

Today I bought a recycled mix to try out. Gotta branch out from time to time.

My least favorite is polyester - particularly the mattress pad I ended up with recently. I will use it to upholster the chairs and then pass it on. Holy cow - getting that under the machine is like maneuvering 2x4s. It will not bend - only fold over and crease. Whatever possessed me to say "sure I can use that" is beyond me.

IAmCatOwned 01-11-2012 03:05 PM

I like Quilter's Dream (poly) and Hobbs 80/20 followed by Warm and Natural. Warm and natural is easier to work with, but not as warm as a poly or poly blend. I live in MN and warmth is needed. I have not used wool due to expense and my perception that it is special care.

donnalynett 01-11-2012 03:15 PM

I would love to use Warm and Natural however all my quilts go to charity and I do not receive any type of financial assistance. Due to finances I buy the 4oz. polyester by the roll and I don't seem to have any problem FMQ with it.

tsnana2000 01-11-2012 07:58 PM

I love Quilter's Dream cotton. It is even all through and drapes nicely.

Born2Sew 01-11-2012 10:03 PM

I too, prefer the Quilters Dream cotton batting. If I don't have any on hand, then I will use 80/20 poly cotton blend that I pick up @ Wal Mart. I don't care much for 100% poly. I have an older quilt that I used 100% poly on a few years back, and you can hardly tell there is any batting in it. Guess it's still good for a light weight quilt, but not much warmth there. I've never tried W & N...

Borntohandquilt 01-11-2012 11:27 PM

I am a handquilter and I do wholecloth quilts. I have used Hobbs 80/20 and I really like it because it's easy to quilt through and has a really nice drape. The quilt gets an antique touch and I want my quilts to look like that.

I have also tried the Legacy 80/20 and I must say it's a wonderful batting for hand quilting! I has a very even thickness, no crinkles and the quilt drapes nicely. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to purchase it here in Germany any more.

I don't like poly battings for my quilts because I hate to touch it! I am not going to purchase it any more but I still have some smaller pieces here for wall hangings. The best ones in my opinion are Tuscany and Legacy: they are easy to quilt and the have a really structured look, the quilting patterns are well defined.

I avoid all battings needled onto a scrim because they are too hard to quilt through for me.