Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your honest opinions on batting

Blog Entries

Question Your honest opinions on batting

I would like to invite y'all to post your honest opinions - pro & con - on the batting that you use. I do sell batting, that is a given. Please name the brand and type [fiber content & manufacutring method; needle punched, needled onto scrim, resin bonded, thermal bonded...] and why you like it. And if you have had a bad experience, share why it was negative.

I hope that we can all learn from your comments. Pellon/Legacy is always trying to improve products that we all use in our work. Please talk about any brand and type and tell us all what sort of work you do; hand quilting, long arm, etc. New quilters to the highly experienced can learn from your input.

You can have input into the products that you use in your quilts.

Darlene Christopherson
    Darlene C. Christopherson
    Quilter & Author
    Marketing-Quilting Div.of Pellon

My favorite is anything from Warm and Natural, it is sturdy but still easy to hand quilt through. I enjoyed working with Hobbs Heirloom fusible - but it is 20% polyester and I don't care for that, but I will use it for wall hangings and table items. My second favorite is Soft Touch 100% cotton, quilts up really nice and drapes lovely, I just don't care how if I tug on it ...it rips too easily.
    Not about batting, but I used a Pellon fusible interfacing yesterday and loved it!

Your name sounds/looks familiar...have you judged quilt shows?

I use lots and lots of Warm and Natural or Warm and White , this is my number one go to batting. I use this batting as it preshrinks better ( holds shape/does not shred/not as fussy about method of shrinking) than the other primarily cotton battings. It has a very sturdy scrim.
    For many of my full size quilts or larger I use Hobbs 80/20 as it has a bit more loft than Warm and Natural.
    But as a consumer I find the trade off between breath ability of cotton, and the warm of a poly to be in constant conflict. I love wool ( hobbs) but find the price point to be above my ability to use it all my bed quilts.
    I have been trying to find a 50/50 poly cotton to experiment with... thinking that might give me the best of both worlds. One draw back I have considered is a 50/50 will not give the shrinkage in bed quilts for the antique crinkle look. But my thoughts is I would get more warmth than a higher cotton content batting.
    On about 1/2 of the bed quilts , I have taken to double batting, one layer of Warm and Natural for the shrinakge/crinkle and one layer of poly for the warmth. This has yielded very good results , in when the warm and natural shrinks , the extra layer of poly gets a higher loft and more added warmth.
    I have used silk blend battings but have concerns about the long term durability as silk is prone to dry rot.
    It always a tough call to make a switch to a different batting when you consider the time/dollars spent on making a quilt .. and if a batting "under performs" it may not reveal till sometimes years later..... and its un-cureable!
    Last edited by Lori S; 01-11-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm also a Warm and Natural fan. I don't like poly batting. I use the W&N for both machine and hand quilting. Very user-friendly.

Power Poster
    Does Pellon make a fusible like Hobbs 80/20 fusible? I have not seen or tried any of your products. I really like the Hobbs for machine quilting. I like other 80/20 blends but I don't want to go back to pin basting. I can't use the sprays for fusing the sandwich due to allergies. I have used a regular polyester batt for hand quilting but I only hand quilt special gifts. There just is not enough time to get to all the quilt patterns I have on my list to hand quilt anymore.

When it comes to batting, the type will depend on the finished look that I want to achieve. If I want a smoother, more modern look....I use poly and Hobbs PolyDown is my choice as it's easy to use, not overly lofty and reasonably priced. If I am looking for an old fashioned crinkly look, I use an 80/20 blend that I buy at WalMart. It is much cheaper than Warm and Natural, but quilts and washes well. I don't overquilt, but usually have quilting lines every 2-3 inches, so the quilting requirements don't factor in to my choice of batting. I have a Janome 6600 and do all of my own quilting, even the king size quilts. I do use basting spray, so compatibility with a spray is a necessity.

Hobbs Heirloom Fusible (80/20) is the one I use most often, but I also like the non-fusible version, plus Hobbs Heirloom Natural (cotton) and the version with the scrim. I make mostly traditional style quilts or I finish antique and vintage tops and I like the shrinkage and the washability of all these.

If I'm making a child's quilt, I like Hobbs Poly Down (polyester) - it's so soft and silky and seems to stay puffy forever.

I have bought some wool batts and some fusible bamboo blends, but I haven't gotten around to using them, yet.

I primarily hand quilt. I like Mountain Mist Lite for the smallest stitches; Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon because it doesn't beard and handles well. I recently completed a quilt with Hobbs Polydown, and I was impressed because it was easy to quilt, a bit puffier than the Mountain Mist Lite, and when the quilt hung at a show, it was very flat - no wrinkles or ripples.

Right now, I'm using Hobbs Premium Wool, and I like it...but I'm reserving a full opinion until the quilt is finished and hung.

Battings I don't like are Quilters Dream, the lightest weight - yes, it was easy to quilt, but there was no puff to add contrast to the quilting. I also didn't like Warm and Natural, or any batting with scrim, because it's too hard to hand quilt. I also don't feel that it loosens up to fill spaces between stitching lines.

Janet

So far I have only used the poly batting from Walmart because that is the closest place to buy as well as the least expensive. I inherited some others, bamboo for one, that I have not tried yet. Would be interested to try others once I use up what I have on hand.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I don't like Warm and Natural at all. It's too hard and doesn't give much definition to you quilting, plus it's stiff if you quilt it much closer than that 10 inches apart. I use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 the most and Quilter's Dream poly when I want a poly batting.

Many of my customers prefer the 80/20 and I have used the 50/50 quite a bit too. I do like the wool but there again it is abit more expensive but it sure quilts up nice. I do have the poly also that use for a few here and there.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...1CD7C6B4A7.png
    http://judysquiltsandramblins.blogspot.com

I use Warm and White for my hand quilting and machine quilting. It holds together well, is warm when I need it to be and when I made a floor quilt for my new grandson, I doubled the batting so I could make it cushy for when he was crawling. The last time I went to JoAnn's to buy the Warm & White, I noticed it had gone up $2.00 a yard in price. I usually buy 12 to 15 yards so the price even with a coupon was an issue. I saw that the 100% cotton Pellon product which looked and almost felt like Warm and White was $3 cheaper a yard so I gave it a go. I have never been more disappointed in a product....it was pilling on my quilt top before I finished machine quilting it. I used it up on unimportant quilt tops but will not buy it again.

I love Warm and Natural and warm and white. I only do long arm quilting, and it quilts up so nice. I tried a high loft poly and I'm still trying to make myself like it. Not sure how I like it over all.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Interesting coincidence. I teach free motion quilting (on domestic sewing machines) and have a running conversation about batting with my students. I have been making samples with the same stitching designs on quilt sandwiches where I am using cotton batting, wool batting and polyester batting. I did not have the polyester so I bought some of the low-loft from JoAnne's. Won't buy it again.
    Love the puff of the wool will use it for wall quilts due to its recovery and memory (less creases when folded), use cotton 99% of the time because I like the crinkly look. The polyester was uneven, lumpy and very slippery.
    I understand why some use the poly due to its cost or availability, but if I am putting the hours in on a quilt, I am going to buy the best materials possible, and IMHO, polyester batting is not it!
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

I usually use Warm and Natural or Warm and White because I bought two rolls from JoAnn's (before the big price hikes) and I like the way it feels. I have used Hobbs Heirloom wool and loved it. I have a KS Heirloom silk batt that I'm saving for a special quilt. I used Hobbs 80/20 recently and liked it too. The only batting I have really hated was some that the guild provided me for comfort quilts. I don't know what it was, but it felt almost scratchy and was thin and uneven.

I have used polyester batting, Hobbs 80/20, Warm & Natural, and Hobbs Wool. I find polyester batting more difficult to FMQ on my domestic machine - too much poof! I have also used various other 80/20 blends.

I find that I like different batting for different purposes. If you quilt Warm & Natural very densely (think Diane Gaudynski or Harriet Hargrave style heirloom quilting), then the quilt becomes very stiff.

In general I prefer the Hobbs 80/20 (fusible when I can find it) or the Hobbs wool. The nice thing about the wool is that it does not keep creases. So if you have quilts that you store and do not use all the time, the creases do not remain once you use it (at least if you are hanging the quilt).

I do find it a little more difficult to pin baste the wool because it has more loft than the 80/20. I have to be very careful that I pin it closer together so that I don't get tucks when I free motion quilt on my domestic machine.

A few years ago I did a demostration for my quilt group where I compared different types of batting and various combinations of pre-washed and non-prewashed fabric. All of the batting and fabric squares started out the same size.

I then layered and quilted them and washed/dried all the samples. This provided examples of the shrinkage and puckering encountered when using pre-washed vs non pre-washed fabric and different types of batting.

It is really personal preference as to what you like the best.

I use Warm&Natural exclusively, and have not had any problems with it. I see no reason to change at this time. I bought a bolt of it a few years ago and still have plenty on hand. I also bought several queen size pkg. when Joann Fabrics had it on sale. I like sales.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    After 30 years of quilting I have narrowed my preferences to 2 companies and 2 fibers.
    Wool because of its light weight, easy of needling, warmth, washability. My favorite bed quilt is wool batted. I've used both Hobbs and Quilters Dream.

Cotton Select from Quilters Dream and Hobbs Organic Cotton because they wash well, wrinkle just enough to create the vintage look I prefer, needle well for handquilting, and can be quilted just far enough apart for my taste. Quilts made with these fold and store beautifully for me.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

As a handquilter who has been at it for more than 40 years I like good quality poly or a poly blend. It gives my handquilting defination, is usually easy to work with and lighter weight to handle. I make approximatley 20 Simple Linus Quilts a month. For them I use the 10 yard by 48" rolls of poly batting from JoAnns. I always stock up when there is a sale. I machine quilt them simply using a decorative stitch. I assume that children's quilts will be washed frequently and the poly does not shrink. I find that cotton batting tends to get very heavy with larger bed quilts. The king size bed quilt I recently won had cotton batting and it is a chore just to fold it up.

Just my two cents.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Blog Entries
    I love wool batting. I have used bamboo too, but wool is my favorite for adult quilts. I use cotton in those I give to young ones. I don't use poly at all.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

I am firmly sold on Hobbs 80/20 for everything! I used to use all poly but my machine hates it and my fmq does not come out right at all.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE the batts from the Dream company- the Dream Wool is my all time favorite- wonderful to work with, is lightweight & lofty.
    dream poly is great for utility/kids quilts
    dream orient, dream bamboo, and dream green are all very nice to use- I love them all-
    when i can not find a dream batt i go with Hobbs Heirloom cotton or 80/20.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My favorite batting, and the one I have used for years, is Warm and Natural. I've also, on occasion, used Quilters Dream, which I also like, but don't find it to be as heavy. I only use cotton, no polyester. Yes, I know that W&N has a poly scrim in it, but hardly enough to make a difference. Hope this help you.

I like warm & natural and use it for everything. I like that it can be quilted 10 inches apart and I like the way it crinkles when you wash and dry it.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I mostly use Warm and Natural or Warm and White because I like the way it feels and the way it handles. I can leave larger areas unquilted and it still holds its shape. My oldest quilt is soft as silk by now so this batting washes beautifully. I also like the antique look.

Next I use the Hobbs 80/20. It seems to drape a bit better than W&N.

Today I bought a recycled mix to try out. Gotta branch out from time to time.

My least favorite is polyester - particularly the mattress pad I ended up with recently. I will use it to upholster the chairs and then pass it on. Holy cow - getting that under the machine is like maneuvering 2x4s. It will not bend - only fold over and crease. Whatever possessed me to say "sure I can use that" is beyond me.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast