View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Lori S

I use lots and lots of Warm and Natural or Warm and White , this is my number one go to batting. I use this batting as it preshrinks better ( holds shape/does not shred/not as fussy about method of shrinking) than the other primarily cotton battings. It has a very sturdy scrim.
For many of my full size quilts or larger I use Hobbs 80/20 as it has a bit more loft than Warm and Natural.
But as a consumer I find the trade off between breath ability of cotton, and the warm of a poly to be in constant conflict. I love wool ( hobbs) but find the price point to be above my ability to use it all my bed quilts.
I have been trying to find a 50/50 poly cotton to experiment with... thinking that might give me the best of both worlds. One draw back I have considered is a 50/50 will not give the shrinkage in bed quilts for the antique crinkle look. But my thoughts is I would get more warmth than a higher cotton content batting.
On about 1/2 of the bed quilts , I have taken to double batting, one layer of Warm and Natural for the shrinakge/crinkle and one layer of poly for the warmth. This has yielded very good results , in when the warm and natural shrinks , the extra layer of poly gets a higher loft and more added warmth.
I have used silk blend battings but have concerns about the long term durability as silk is prone to dry rot.
It always a tough call to make a switch to a different batting when you consider the time/dollars spent on making a quilt .. and if a batting "under performs" it may not reveal till sometimes years later..... and its un-cureable!

Last edited by Lori S; 01-11-2012 at 08:00 AM.