Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are your quilts smaller? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-quilts-smaller-t181103.html)

Cagey 02-29-2012 06:36 AM

Are your quilts smaller?

I was working on an double irish chain this week and debated whether I should make a lap size or a twin coverlet as I planned on. Thought about trying to save a little $$ and make a lap size instead but decided to go with my original plan and make the coverlet. Has this economy changed the size of quilt you create?

lillybeck 02-29-2012 06:39 AM

It has not changed what size I make but certainly has effected what I make. I have been working from my very small stash and it is not too bad. I have a lot of fat quarter size pieces and some smaller. Makes and interesting challenge

redmadder 02-29-2012 06:43 AM

Its not the economy. Everyone has large quilts I've made. DH doesn't like as much weight as I do. A smaller quilt on my side is just right. DD and family have several nap size that they use in the living room (no snuggies in that household). I remember years ago a magazine article whose author was grumbling about odd size quilts, now they've become the norm.

ShowMama 02-29-2012 06:46 AM

No, it hasn't changed the size of quilts I make. Most of the ones I make are for gifts or fundraisers and queen size at least. But I am using more from my stash nowadays. I don't go out and buy fabrics for each new quilt any more, unless I just need one more to complete the look I'm trying to get. But it's working well for me because I like the scrappy look best and I'm also using up fabrics I've had for a long time.

gramarraine 02-29-2012 06:48 AM

I try to make at least a queen size quilt. All my family use fleece blankets to snuggle in while watching tv so they don't need lap size quilts.

gayle bong 02-29-2012 09:10 AM

No it hasn't cause I have quite a stash. But what has changed the size of the quilts I am making is a new mattress. With them being deeper, they need to be wider to cover at least the top mattress. Last year I actually pulled out 7 quilt tops in the closet and enlarged them with borders.

Sadiemae 02-29-2012 09:57 AM

It definitely has!!!

Annaquilts 02-29-2012 10:01 AM

Yes, definitely. I am making smaller quilts and using lesser quality fabrics. Unfortunately my donation quilt number is down too. Partially becasue they are more finnicky about quilt quality fabric and the actual quilting. Batting and cost of it is becoming a big factor too.

BMP 02-29-2012 10:15 AM

I dont make as many...I am however doing queens right now for each of my sons and myself. Other than that I have cut way back on sewing.....

QuiltingCrazie 02-29-2012 10:57 AM

My stash has, so I guess yes. I'm trying to use up my stash and I didn't buy enough and now can't find the fabric when i get to the borders so I have left borders off a few.