Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on Fabric-HELP! >

Printing on Fabric-HELP!

Printing on Fabric-HELP!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM

Default Printing on Fabric-HELP!

I am trying to print some sayings on some squares of muslin for the front of a quilt. I have turned up the resolution of the print, wait 24hrs, set it with cold water 1/4 cup snuggle fabric softener to 1 cup water, dry iron it dry. I test washed a square and the ink washed away. At first I tried ironing the fabric to freezer paper but it jammed in the printer so after many trial & errors I found that if I adhered the fabric to paper (computer) with basteing spray they went they the printer just fine. Still washes out. A friend of mine does this all the with freezer paper & no problems. So do you think it's a chemical reaction with the basteing spray?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

It could be a difference in the type of printer. What type of printer are you using? Different types of printers (inkjet, laser) require different processes. Google "fabric printing" with your type of printer to see what the recommended method is.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Fabric softener actually works?? I would think it would prevent the ink from sinking in to the fabric? I don't have any experience with this, I just know that when I put fabric softener in with a load of towels, the towels don't absorb water as well.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Did you prewash the fabric to get out the sizing? Are you printing in color or just black? Colors didn't work with my printer, they washed out.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 06-12-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM

I was under the impression you could only print on fabric with an inkjet printer and I tend to agree with Peckish about the fabric softener.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 PM

I thought you had to either buy the pre treated fabric sheets or treat the fabric with something like bubble jet set http://www.dharmatrading.com/transfe...set-rinse.html otherwise the ink will not be permanent.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Not all printer inks will stay on fabric. You might need to buy a product called Bubble Jet. But first I would try this. This is what I do set the ink from my Epson printer. I tried the fabric softner method and it didn't work either. This works for me.

after printing, remove it from the paper, let it dry for about 20 minutes, iron it ALOT, then iron it alot again. Be careful not to scorch. You might want to protect your ironing surface and iron by using a scrap of material under your printed piece and on top of the printed piece. Let it cool for about 20 minutes, soak in a baking dish with a about 2 inches of white vinegar for at least 20 minutes. remove from baking dish, DO NOT WRING OUT EXCESS and lay on a towel. lay another towel on top and lightly press. let air dry, iron it alot again.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 AM

I have printed pictures, etc. on my HP printer but you need to either buy fabric that has been treated for printing or as suggested by others you need to use Bubble Jet set. There may be other products, but that is the only one is know of.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Not all printer inks will stay on fabric. You might need to buy a product called Bubble Jet. But first I would try this. This is what I do set the ink from my Epson printer. I tried the fabric softner method and it didn't work either. This works for me.

after printing, remove it from the paper, let it dry for about 20 minutes, iron it ALOT, then iron it alot again. Be careful not to scorch. You might want to protect your ironing surface and iron by using a scrap of material under your printed piece and on top of the printed piece. Let it cool for about 20 minutes, soak in a baking dish with a about 2 inches of white vinegar for at least 20 minutes. remove from baking dish, DO NOT WRING OUT EXCESS and lay on a towel. lay another towel on top and lightly press. let air dry, iron it alot again.
Sorry, but this just sounds like way too much work. I just use the photo paper that I can get a Joanns with a 1/2 off coupon. My inkjet HP printer likes it just fine and the printing stays really good for many washings..... like years.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Well, for years I've used regular fabric or muslin, one of several inkjet HP printers I've owned over the years, ironing after waiting "a bit" and sewing onto a washed/dried quilt. NO other process.

Later - maybe weeks, maybe months - I have washed my labeled quilts (they are ALL washed!) with no lost of the printing on those labels.

Not sure why I have success when others don't. I'm sorry.....maybe I just "hold my mouth right" as my 89 year old Mother would say.

Jan in VA