Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Printing pictures on fabric???

How do you guys do it? I ironed a piece of cloth to freezer paper, then put it through our lexmark #2600. I thought it turned out pretty good, The fabric was kind of bubbley after I ironed it on the paper. I thought maybe I did it to long. The picture came out pretty good. I am considering doing a quilt with pictures of our kids on it. So I am expermenting with this process.

I would buy the specially treated fabric for this, or if you prefer you can buy Bubble Jet Set & Rinse & process your own fabric for printing. If you take what you've printed now & scrub it in a wash basin with soap, I think you'll find that alot of the ink disappears. Just my thoughts.

A few years ago, I made a quilt using the method you just described. I was so proud of myself! I put about 125 pictures on this huge quilt. Then when I got it all quilted, I washed it like I do all my finished quilts. The photos all came off!!!! I ended up redoing the photos using the iron on transfer method. WHAT A JOB! Will NEVER try to print on fabric again unless I buy the specially pretreated stuff. And even then, not sure that can be washed without the photos fading. I won't be doing another photo quilt for some time, so will most likely stick with the iron on transfer method. At least these can be washed occasionally.

Blog Entries
    Someone was posting that the newer Epson pigment inks do not fade.

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Someone was posting that the newer Epson pigment inks do not fade.
    I think you still have to use treated fabric though

Thanks for the info on printing on fabric, it really helps.