Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing pictures on material >

Printing pictures on material

Printing pictures on material

Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM

I am frustrated in trying to get the HP inkjet printer to cooperate. It keeps getting jammed. Is there a secret to mounting the material with the freezer paper and have it go thru the printer without jamming. I have taken standard cellephane tape and taped the top of the page and it is still getting caught.
Also is there a transfer paper that you can buy that will print the pictures from the computer and then iron on the fabric.
Presently, I purchased a solution to soke the material and then dry it and then iron it on freezer paper and then suppose to put thru the printer from the computer, transferring the picture onto the cloth thru the printer. There has to be a secret so the piece does not jam. I have about 10 copies of pictures that I want to put on the memory quilt and trying to find the best way at this point.
Help!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Would it help to push the paper up closer to the roller? I use the kind that you just put through the printer and haven't had any problems. Hope it cooperates soon.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I cut the paper and fabric a 1/2 inch bigger than needed. Iron on the freezer paper and then carefully trim to size. Handle carefully so none of the edges start fraying.

Carefully slide in the paper into the printer, until it just starts to catch.
Only put in one at a time, don't try to feed them in one after the other :D:D:D

Do you use freezer paper with material ironed on. I attached a standard piece of printer paper on the back as well to give it some substance but maybe that is too thick. I will try again just the material with the freezer paper. Trial and error until I get it right.
Thanks

I've been printing on fabric for years.
Here are my suggestions.
Make sure all the edges are iron down.
Make sure the freezer paper is squared up properly.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 PM

does it help to put tape on the sides and top of the page?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM

I think putting the tape on the top might create problems with the rollers picking up the freezer paper. I have an HP printer and have not had any problems with it. Again as stated, one sheet at a time!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by frecklestweety
I am frustrated in trying to get the HP inkjet printer to cooperate. It keeps getting jammed. Is there a secret to mounting the material with the freezer paper and have it go thru the printer without jamming. I have taken standard cellephane tape and taped the top of the page and it is still getting caught.
Also is there a transfer paper that you can buy that will print the pictures from the computer and then iron on the fabric.
Presently, I purchased a solution to soke the material and then dry it and then iron it on freezer paper and then suppose to put thru the printer from the computer, transferring the picture onto the cloth thru the printer. There has to be a secret so the piece does not jam. I have about 10 copies of pictures that I want to put on the memory quilt and trying to find the best way at this point.
Help!!!!
I just took a class this past weekend where we printed photos on paper made for this purpose. I think it is called "Printed Treasures." The fabric is already on paper. You put it in the inkjet and print on it. Afterwards, you remove the paper slowly and carefully, and then rinse the remaining fabric with the photo. It worked very well. The fabric with the photo is then used as fabric (no need to iron on anything). We were cautioned not to quilt through the photo because it leaves big holes in the fabric.

The only drawback is that it is very expensive. @$20 for 10 sheets of 8 1/2 by 11inches. This is probably why others use the fabric on freezer paper. I would only use this if you're OK with spending the extra $ or if you can't get the other method to work.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:46 PM

I had better luck when I slightly rounded the corners of the paper on the end that gets fed in first.

Pat
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Okay this I can do spray spray adhesive on a sheet of printer paper put your fabric on it right side up wrong side to adhesive set printer for card stock print