Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem destashing!!! >

Problem destashing!!!

Problem destashing!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 AM

The first few steps are the hardest. After that you begin to get a feeling of lightness. I have tried many crafts and did craft shows. I just donated two car loads (yes, my little Prius was filled to the roof) of basket making supplies to the Girl Scouts. They love buttons, paints, etc. Some of my excess sewing fabrics have gone to a group that makes quilts for needy people. I like the idea of putting things into black bags or boxes where you don't see it after you've made the decision to send it out the door. My sister is my role model for this process. When her husband retired, they started with one room of their house and removed everything that they would not move. Then they repaired any dings in the room, painted it, fixed the closet shelves, etc. One and a half years later they were ready to put their house on the market. They did so, expecting a 3 month period before it would sell. They had an offer the first week, with the contingency that they be out in a month. It was a scramble but all of the prep work really saved the day.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
Our Guild is having a "treasure hunt sale" next month so today I decided to start the process of destashing.....I didn't realize that I had so much flannel. .I am measuring, folding and selecting what I want to keep, what I want to give, and what I want to sell.

My problem is that I might need it someday. I am taking baby steps and feel uncertain about this process I guess that you could call me a "fabric hoarder"..

I will finish with the flannels tonight and start on regular cotton, batiks, 30's, 108", and scraps. Speaking of scraps How small is too small..??

Is there counseling for people like me. I am in my 70's and I know that I will never use all of this and another thing...I want to buy something new
You described me! Even our age is the same. BTW,no scrap is too small unless the seam allowance devours it.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 AM

I agree with everyone - it's very hard to destash! I belong to a guild so I take things there. I know the fabric/scraps will find a good home. And I still like to buy new! I'm just more selective and I tend to buy remnants. Sometimes all you need is a small piece. Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 AM

I'm with you on the whole pain of destashing. What I did a month or so ago was sold some yardage here on the Board. The people that bought it were so verbal in their appreciation, it made me feel a little better. I also like the idea of going through and getting rid of what you don't care for anymore. We all go through phases of the things that we love, and someone will see your fabrics and be so glad to have them!

And, I'm sorry, you can't use the "I'm in my 70's" to try and make yourself feel better about getting rid of some stuff. 70 is the new 40!!! Lots of time left. (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM

I think all quilters are "fabric hoarders"!! but with that said it sure is nice to be able to go to your stash when you start a new project.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 AM

I'm in my mid seventies and very aware that I can never use all the fabric and things I have amassed and the things I though my kids would want, is NOT what they want....it is sad, but that's the way it is. So, since I still like to sew, I make quilts for charities....pretty much only do this and even then find it isn't making much of a dent in my stash. Still, it helps someone and when I die, my kids can give my stuff away and not feel guilty. Flannel makes wonderful backings for any sized quilt....
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Is calico out of style? I guess I'm behind the curve--I still love it.

I couldn't destash flannel--it's my favorite fabric, and can be used for so many things.

And... okay, I admit it--destashing fabric is hard for me. I can get rid of clothes and shoes and kitchen stuff with no problem, but fabric? **sigh**
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

This really works when Iset things out for SA and GW. I close up the bags and put a duct tape label on it.
Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
This board has many members juat like you! I put my give away items in black bags so i don't see it once i decide it can go. Very tiugh to destash so we feel your pain...lol.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM

I feel your pain and confusion. I was not real good at destashing before my big move. I just got sneaky and wrapped breakables in flannels.Cause I would need them some day. Well I got busted when I was unpacking. So the family tried intervention- I don't think it took Even after making a dozen quilts my stash has grown. I tried the Buddy System for shopping days. Well that failed -Dee is now a new member of the Fabriholics Club. Her DSH suggested we find a meeting place like AA Well that evening on FB a cartoon from my Aunt -it said - There is to be a new chapter of FHA ( FABRIC HOARDERS ANON) to be held at Hancopck's fabric stores. So we went
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I feel your pain and confusion. I was not real good at destashing before my big move. I just got sneaky and wrapped breakables in flannels.Cause I would need them some day. Well I got busted when I was unpacking. So the family tried intervention- I don't think it took Even after making a dozen quilts my stash has grown. I tried the Buddy System for shopping days. Well that failed -Dee is now a new member of the Fabriholics Club. Her DSH suggested we find a meeting place like AA Well that evening on FB a cartoon from my Aunt -it said - There is to be a new chapter of FHA ( FABRIC HOARDERS ANON) to be held at Hancopck's fabric stores. So we went
I love this! Where do I join?