Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem destashing!!! >

Problem destashing!!!

Problem destashing!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM

I always seem to want something later that I got rid of when de-stashing. So I'm not getting rid of much anymore. My tastes in fabric switch too. Like I used to love batiks and civil war fabrics, but now I hardly ever use them. But knowing me, I'll want them again as soon as they're gone.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM

I'm probably going to have to do some reduction of my stash soon I have a huge amount of fabric since I have a big sewing room with 2 closets and two wall of shelves from about 5 ft to the ceiling and all filled with plastic boxes of fabrics. Arranging them by color or sometimes color and type has really helped me to use what I have. I've been mostly sewing out of it for the past few years, but I do enjoy buying new collections and individual fabrics so I do that, too. I've also used up some of my more questionable choices (LOL) to make pillowcases. I'm not that worried about all the fabric though. I figure if some day I can't afford to buy new fabric, I can still sew for years on what I have now. lol
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

I can really understand your difficulty with cutting down your stash. When we moved 3 years ago from a 3 bedroom home with a sewing room upstairs and down (the upstairs was for winter so we didn't have to heat the basement) into a 2 bedroom apartment, I had a difficult time deciding what to keep and what could go. Fortunately, I have a very dear friend who helped me sort through my stash, as well as the stash I inherited when my sister passed away 3 years before. It was difficult as I wanted to keep it all; however, my dear friend took what I pulled out from my stash, saved some for herself and gave away some fabrics to a woman who did charity quilts. You know, there's a saying that when you toss something out, that's when you'll need it. I was making a family reunion quilt and looking for backing fabric, so I called my friend who still had the fabric, so I was an Indian giver and took it back; however, since we are both on Social Security and funds are sparse, it saved me from having to buy backing fabric for that quilt, which was perfect for it. I tried to keep my fabrics in clear totes so I can somewhat see what is in them, and I've tried to label them as well, grouping Christmas, other holidays, children's fabrics, etc., etc. While I was downsizing, I made some amazing discoveries in my stash that I had forgotten that I had, so that was a nice surprise. This is a long reply, but do what you feel is right, keep what you want, find someone or some charity to give the fabric to, but do not feel guilty about keeping what is left. I have made lots of quilted items from my stash, some I sold at craft fairs, and last Christmas I presented our DGD a full size quilt for her bed, made entirely from my stash, it made me feel good to do that.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
This board has many members juat like you! I put my give away items in black bags so i don't see it once i decide it can go. Very tiugh to destash so we feel your pain...lol.
The black bag method worked for me - once it was in the bag it was gone. Donated more bags than I want to admit while moving my sewing room and organizing my stash. Was a big job but so worth it - all fabric wrapped on comic book cardboards and lined up neatly on shelves. Now I know what I have and where to find it. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love to declutter. I can toss and forget faster then anyone I know. Doesn't bother me on bit. I do keep more fabric then I need but that is just normal for quilters. I know as I get older I keep less.
Could you please tell us your secret, Onebyone? I find it very difficult to declutter and destash.

Cricket
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM

Since I'm not only a quilter, but also an elementary school teacher, certain materials got WAY out of hand for me. I used to be really good about throwing things out, but then had to repurchase many of them & that cost me a lot of money and time; plus, some items weren't sold any more. So I went 180 degrees the other direction - not good!

I hired a professional organizer 2 years ago & it was life-changing. She came maybe 6 times over the course of a year and helped me set priorities. If it's expensive or especially meaningful (e.g., letters from my students or that one fabric that I try to work into each quilt I make for family members -- even if just in a small bit of applique), then it goes in the bins first. After that, I add in whatever I'm currently working on. Finally, I can put whatever else will fit in the bins. If it doesn't fit, something needs to go. No new bins unless I throw out a current one. She helped me make labels and lists for each bin so I know what's in it. A lot of professional organizers are part organizer-part therapist.

One nice thing I've found for fabric that I just don't have time to do anything with (or don't have money to buy the other items I need to finish a quilt) is to make quilt kits for Downy Quilts for Kids. Our local chapter collects them & matches them up with quilters that have time but either don't have money for decent fabric (like high school or college kids) or with people who hate cutting. Another option one of my neighbors found was to just throw a bunch of scraps in a box, snap a few photos and sell it on the cheap through Craig's List or eBay. She felt really badly parting with her fabric at the time, but then used the money to buy gift certificates for each of her grandchildren for their favorite spots and said the joy on their faces more than made up for the bit of sadness over parting with her stores of fabric. She got everything down to 3 storage tubs, enough to make a quilt for a friend and a few for family members that wanted them.

Best wishes with your efforts to pare down your stash! I know it can be hard, but in the end life is so much happier.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 PM

I understand your frustration. It seems we spend the first half of our lives acquiring stuff, and the second half getting rid of it. Most of us are frugal by nature (quilters are probably more than most) and it seems a waste not to use what we have paid for. But there comes a time I think we just have to let go of some of our treasures, and rejoice in the fact that they are going to good homes/causes..
I am an only child and after my mother died I had the sole responsibility of cleaning out her house and disposing of countless bags of junk--and some pretty shocking private stuff that I am sure she would rather I not have ever seen if she had known what was coming. That experience did impress upon me the need to clean out excess stuff and private things so my daughters would not have so much to deal with after I am gone!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM

I've thought about destashing...then I laugh and make another trip to the fabric store.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM

I can't help you. I take my fabric out to pet it. Good luck.