View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I can really understand your difficulty with cutting down your stash. When we moved 3 years ago from a 3 bedroom home with a sewing room upstairs and down (the upstairs was for winter so we didn't have to heat the basement) into a 2 bedroom apartment, I had a difficult time deciding what to keep and what could go. Fortunately, I have a very dear friend who helped me sort through my stash, as well as the stash I inherited when my sister passed away 3 years before. It was difficult as I wanted to keep it all; however, my dear friend took what I pulled out from my stash, saved some for herself and gave away some fabrics to a woman who did charity quilts. You know, there's a saying that when you toss something out, that's when you'll need it. I was making a family reunion quilt and looking for backing fabric, so I called my friend who still had the fabric, so I was an Indian giver and took it back; however, since we are both on Social Security and funds are sparse, it saved me from having to buy backing fabric for that quilt, which was perfect for it. I tried to keep my fabrics in clear totes so I can somewhat see what is in them, and I've tried to label them as well, grouping Christmas, other holidays, children's fabrics, etc., etc. While I was downsizing, I made some amazing discoveries in my stash that I had forgotten that I had, so that was a nice surprise. This is a long reply, but do what you feel is right, keep what you want, find someone or some charity to give the fabric to, but do not feel guilty about keeping what is left. I have made lots of quilted items from my stash, some I sold at craft fairs, and last Christmas I presented our DGD a full size quilt for her bed, made entirely from my stash, it made me feel good to do that.