Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with new Viking machine >

Problem with new Viking machine

Problem with new Viking machine

Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Problem with new Viking machine

I've been away from the board for a long time due to numerous family deaths. I'm finally getting back to my quilting but found I was struggling with my machine. So I had to bite the bullet & buy a new machine. I now have a Viking Sapphire 930.

I had a need to do free motion on a nearly finished piece. I was able to set it to free motion & finish the job but my problem now is getting it off free motion & back to reg. stitching.
It seems the presser foot isn't dropping low enough to move fabric through. I've gone through the manual many times but I'm just not seeing how to reset it. Can any of you Viking owners give me help please?

I had to buy it online because of my location so there is no shop to demonstrate it.
Have you ever tried it do straight sewing in FM mode? Very sloppy.

Thanks for for any help.

Pat
Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 PM

I'm not famliar with this machine, but it sounds like you haven't raised your feed dogs back up.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Yes, are the feed dogs in the up position? Most people drop the feed dogs for FMQ. If you do that, you need to raise the feed dogs back up to do regular stitching.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:43 PM

Great machine. I hsve the 960Q Look up in the service user manual Sewing Techniques it includes Seams
Follow the step by step set up instruction

Happy Quilting
Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM

Hi Pat, I have the Sapphire 930, same as you. It did take some getting used to - I don't find the menus intuitive. It sounds like you're still in floating mode.

If you turn your machine off and on again, does it give you a message that "Your machine is set for free-motion sewing"? If it does, you need to turn off free motion, the same way you turned it on.

1. Press the Setting button (pliers and screwdriver, far right of the middle row of blue buttons.

2. Scroll down with the arrows next to the screen until you are on FreeM Floating - there should be an x in the box next to it. Press the OK button to remove the x.

3. Press the Set button again to get out of the menu.

The feed dogs should come up when you start to sew again, and the presser foot should lower to the proper height.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Hi Pat, I have the Sapphire 930, same as you. It did take some getting used to - I don't find the menus intuitive. It sounds like you're still in floating mode.

If you turn your machine off and on again, does it give you a message that "Your machine is set for free-motion sewing"? If it does, you need to turn off free motion, the same way you turned it on.

1. Press the Setting button (pliers and screwdriver, far right of the middle row of blue buttons.

2. Scroll down with the arrows next to the screen until you are on FreeM Floating - there should be an x in the box next to it. Press the OK button to remove the x.

The feed dogs should come up when you start to sew again, and the presser foot should lower to the proper height.

I hope this helps!

Sounds complicated.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:02 AM

"The feed dogs should come up when you start to sew again"

Even my 30 year old viking does this. I can lower them and they drop, but when I push the button to raise them, nothing happens until I start to sew, then they pop up into position. At least with the older machine, I can manually turn the wheel to get them to engage.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:08 AM

Jennifer23 had the perfect response! And no, it's not really complicated LOL ... just takes some getting used to the menus!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post

I hope this helps!

Hooray, Jennifer. You saved me. Your direction worked for me. These buttons & arrows are going to take time to figure out. That's why I dragged my feet on getting a new machine.
Thank you so very much. It helps that you have the same machine.

Forever grateful, Pat