Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
problem >

problem

problem

Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 PM

I - as a new quilter - have been told to use the table, centering the quilt back face down on the table, use those big black office clamps to secure it tightly. Then add my batting, centering it on top of the back, secure the two together snuggly using the clamps. Next add the quilt top centering it on top of the other two, securing with clamps. The center of the quilt should now be snug and together, start favorite way of basting. After done with the part that is on the table snug, release, move to another section and secure it up - continue until finished. Can't wait to try it.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
Several people here like to use this method but I haven't tried it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
That's the method I use....works great and I can sit to baste
Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM

When I married and moved to my present town, a dear member of our Extension Homemakers' Club took me to her house and showed me how to hand quilt without basting. I'm not a fine stitcher but it works and her quilting was great: Baste the backing to each bar and roll backing onto one side. Pin fabric strips to sides of the backing and stretch to the sides of the frame tautly. Lay on the batt and then the top with edges next to the second bar, baste or pin the edge. The batt and top should lay smoothly on the backing and the excess can be loosely rolled or folded, pinned, and allowed to hang over the far side. Pin the working area and quilt. As areas are finished, release the side strips and roll up the finished quilt section. Pin and secure the sides, again. Continue to the other end. Thank you, Aunt Dolley

Last edited by Greenheron; 08-12-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 AM

I call our local library and see if I can use their meeting room for an hour or so and they come with large tables you can push together to what ever size you need. I have also called our church and done the same with their meeting room/classroom tables.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM

I have this problem as do others in classes I go. Take the quilt and divide into manageable sizes to fit any suitable surface you are comfortable with. Kitchen units ar just the right height to stand at. Usually your size of qiuilt would go into 3 long stripes . We don't sew them together on the piecing section leave to size. Now sandwich these smaller sections And then quit. Take section 2 and do exactly the same . Join the piecing sections of these 2. Use sewing machine to sew pieces then turn to back lay flat trim batting to fit and join by hand then join the backing pieces some of the group. Use sewing machine to make it look like quilt in the ditch, I prefer to hand sew to make the join invisible.

Do the same to 3 and whole quilt done.look at Angie quilts . Blog site.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM

I've layed out quilts at: our local quilt shop; county extension office and local meeting room for one of the quilt clubs. Anywhere there's several tables and some elbow room. If you're lucky, there will be other people there to help!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM

I put my folding cardboard pattern board on my twin bed.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

This upright basting frame will be available soon in the U.S. I'm going to get one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_34sgevrhsQ