Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: problem

problem

I like to quilt my own quilts. Problem: I am unable to get on the floor to sandwich a quilt. I would love to hear how others have dealt with this since I can't believe I'm the only one. Please help!

on the kitchen table

Blog Entries
    I have a large Dining table. I put 2 cutting boards on top of it and get to work. The cutting boards are those cardboard things.
    Last edited by barny; 08-09-2012 at 12:16 PM.

I sandwich all my quilts on banquet tables with bed risers underneath.

Blog Entries
    the local quilt shop's class room- if we call ahead & let them know - and no classes are going on they will push tables together to make it big enough- & even help
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I had a large counter height kitchen table that was great for me. Large enough to baste large areas of the quilt and high enough to keep most of the quilt off the floor. Sad to say it was too large for my small kitchen and I had nowhere else to put it so I had to give it to my sister .
    Bernie

I use my cutting table. I wish my sewing room were larger so that I could have two cutting tables pushed together. The one table works, I just have to pin in sections.

I too feel your pain. If I get down on the floor, can't get back up from it. Smaller quilts I baste on my dining table. Larger, use my bed (very carefully).

Several people here like to use this method but I haven't tried it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Floor (the worst), kitchen table, folding table+kitchen table, kitchen island (nice and high).
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

I arrange my three layers to a quilt on our king size bed. I pin them that way too. I haven't had any problems.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    Several people here like to use this method but I haven't tried it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    I really like the Sharon Schamber method, it can be done sitting at a table easily.

Blog Entries
    I don't have back problems but when I started quilting at about 65 yrs old I found that once I got down on the floor it was very difficult to get up!!! I sandwich all my quilts STANDING UP. I bought two 4'x8' pieces of rigid insulation at Home Depot, cut one in half so that I had 6' total width, then duct taped them together.

I start by pinning the backing on the board - wrong side facing out, making sure it is taunt but not stretched...spray baste;

pin on the batting making sure it is straight.. spray baste;

then I pin on the top, I have straight pins on the top of the quilt only at this point. Starting at the top middle I gently smooth down and out, down and out, all the way down the quilt. This is to smooth the quilt and make sure it is stuck to the batting. If you think it needs more spray baste you can raise the quilt, hit it with a few sprays where needed and then smooth out again.

Then I place safety pins about every couple of feet all the way around the quilt just to make sure it stays after I take it down off the board. I usually let it hang for a few hours to let the spray baste dry before I take it down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
    I use my cutting table. I wish my sewing room were larger so that I could have two cutting tables pushed together. The one table works, I just have to pin in sections.
    This is how I do it too. My room is soo little! My cutting table has 2 sides that fold down. I can only fold one side up though. I just start in the middle and work my way left and right and then down. Then I turn the quilt around and pin to the top.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

So you do your magic with sandwiching on the insulation board how? Flat, at an angle, vertical?
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Quilts that are less than 72", i baste on my cutting table using the boards and basting thread. Especiallynif i can get to quilting them for a while. A few small ones i maybdo on the tile, but hard on the body. Anything larger, i take to my friend's house where she has 3 large tables and we can clamp the backing down and pin baste. If i am going to quilt it right away, i use straight pins and pieces of backer rod. If it's going to be awhile before i can quilt it, i use basting pins.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Thank you Ladies I also want to thank the Lady who "found" my post and sent me there!! Haha!! Is it okay to baste in "sections"? I don't have a table big enough to accomodate a quilt top all at once. I liked all the ideas and really appreciate this site. I've gotten so much help from you Ladies!! Just reading others questions and the answers they got helped me too. Thanks again!!

for large quilts to pin, check with your church, local senior center or library and ask if you may use their banquet tables for about an hour.

Most would be happy to let you pin your quilt.
    Jean in MI

Blog Entries
    When I don't want to get in the floor, I use my big dining room table. That table serves as everything. We eat on it when we have company. I cut all my fabric on it. Sometimes I sandwich my quilts on it. I pay bills on it. What would I do without it? heheeh!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

If I have a quilt smaller than twin size and I really feel lazy I have often pinned basted it on my design wall. Just think vertical vs horizontal. My favorite method is the Sharon Schambers method, but I baste with quilter's safety pins instead of needle and thread.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=shar...hrome&ie=UTF-8 .

I have two folding tables butted end to end that I use for her basting method. And I use my rolling office chair to sit in as I pin.
    Sweet Caroline

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    What about getting big pieces of cardboard and placing them on your bed and pinning your quilt on your bed? Then you won't pin your blankets, with the cardboard down.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have the same issue...two artificial knees. We have a king size bed. I set up a folding table with the legs on bed raisers, at the foot of the bed. I can then lay the quilt on the bed and pull up a small amount of the sandwich to work on at a time. I start with the center, then work my way down, up and out.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Blog Entries
    I go to my church basement where they have lots of tables. Push as many together as I want.

Have your local longarmer baste it for you. I do it for customers all the time!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

I use my glass topped dining table. I have to move the quilt to pin all of it. Sometimes I use a folding table or plastic saw horses with a cutting board on top. I have sandwiched so many quilts that it is easy for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast