Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Problems with Batting

Problems with Batting

I recently purchased Soft n Crafty batting from Joann's. It felt soft and wonderful in the package in the store. It is quite a different story when you unroll it and find that it is thick and thin all over and does provide even batting for the quilt. Buyer beware. I will never buy this product again.

Thanks for the heads up! Sorry that happened to you -- hopefully Joann will take it back.

soft & crafty is much better suited to (craft) projects...home dec...isn't really marketed as a quilt batt. sorry you were unaware of what you were getting & wound up being disappointed. it will work fine for jackets, totes, pillow tops, lots of (crafty) projects.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Go to Hobby Lobby or Walmart for good poly batting. They both carry same brand, Walmart is a bit cheaper. Warm & natural or some like it are on bolts. I only buy the high loft poly batting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What a dissapointment! I have never used it .. but might have been tempted. Thanks for the heads up.

I have used that product for Linus quilts. It is only 48" wide. The thick and thin variation doesn't bother me, but the crinkles from being on the roll are a real pain. If I remember correctly, the cost when 50% off is only $10, and there are 10 yards on the roll. It works ok for me for Linus quilts that are WOF.

Dayle

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I have used that product for Linus quilts. ....the crinkles from being on the roll are a real pain...... Dayle
    Try getting this thoroughly wet in your machine; let it soak -- DO NOT AGITATE! -- for a few minutes; gently spin the water out. Gently drape over a drying rack until; dry. This takes the crinkles out and makes the batting easier to use. I do it all the time for any batting I use.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    I would take it back-today.

Thank you so much. You are the only one on the net that had tried that batting. Joann's had some on a mark down on the online store for 99 dollars with free shipping. Looks like they are dumping their stock. My joann's has a lot in the store. None of the rolls are open so you can feel it. Thank you again for letting us know.

I purchased the roll of soft and crafty cotton. Just machine quilted a baby quilt, and I am happy with it. The notes on -line indicate it can be quilted between 2-4 inches apart. I found another place that said 8 inches. i went with 2-4 inches to be safe.