Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with Hoopsisters Sewn Seeds BOM sampler >

Problems with Hoopsisters Sewn Seeds BOM sampler

Problems with Hoopsisters Sewn Seeds BOM sampler

Old 05-25-2015, 05:57 AM

do you have the thread in some kind of extender? It may not have far enough to relax before it hits the working areas? I Use a coffee cup behind the machine to hold the thread spool
Old 05-25-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Did you wash your batiks before using them? I have heard that a slight bit of wax could be left in the fabric when they are made. It can build up on needle and cause your thread to fray. I can't say that this has happened to me personally
I do wash all fabric, but have heard it mentioned on the net.
Hello Kasey, I did not wash the batiks but that is a good idea that I will try. I have yardage from the quilt shop and I figured that if I can't actually finish the blocks I would return the fabric to the shop. I'll cut off a chunk of each color and give it a wash and press. Thank you for the idea! ~Paula
Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
do you have the thread in some kind of extender? It may not have far enough to relax before it hits the working areas? I Use a coffee cup behind the machine to hold the thread spool
Hello KalamaQuilts, I have a 10 spool thread stand that is place to the right, behind my machine. The thread comes off the spool, up through a guide hole in the arm, through the thread guide on my machine, then through a spool cap and then is threaded like normal. I have this set up per the instructions on the Babylock website. :-) I've been trying to keep an eye on how the thread is coming off the spool and sometimes it does look like it is a bit twisted. Thank you for your response, I appreciate your time.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kristi.G View Post
I'm doing that pattern in the class at my local shop right now and was experiencing the same problem. I am no however, using the battilizer, but instead using no show mesh and warm & soft combo. I was having spreading problems too and thought my almost new machine might need service. But during the last session, we tried different needles and found that switching to the Microtel needle worked for me - I see that didn't help you though. Hmmm. I am using Kona Cotton though, so my fabric is different.

I also think that the fact that I used some adhesive spray to hold the back on so it wouldn't get messed up while setting up might have contributed to my problem.

Good luck - don't really know what to say, since my problem was resolved with a needle change. I'm using Floriani Polyester thread, by the way.
Hi Kristi, I have been changing the Microtex 90/14 needle every 1 and a half blocks or so. I switched to those after the first two blocks when Hoopsisters customer service recommended them. Is anyone at your shop using batik fabric to make their blocks? My quilt shop says that they have made hoop sisters designs before with batiks and didn't have the issue. I would be interested to see how others using batiks are faring. thank you for your time!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I would contact Hoopsisters, especially since another poster also mentioned problems.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
Love Battilizer....it is batting that is "good stuff" IMHO. I would change your thread. You could also try just one spool of another brand and see if that helps. IF it makes no difference you may have a burr as was mentioned before. Personally I have had problems with Maderia thread, but not all of them and not all the time. I switched to BFC and I didn't have any more problems. Another thing you might try is a topper, but if the thread is shredding I doubt you will have any changes. http://bfc-stash.com/ click on start shopping then BFC poly thread. I have not affiliation with this company just a happy customer.
Hello imsewnso, Thank you for the suggestion. I will be picking up a couple of different polyester threads to try out. This is the first project I have done using the same thread in the bobbin and in the top, the rest of my embroidery projects use regular embroidery bobbin thread. thank you for your time! ~Paula
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would contact Hoopsisters, especially since another poster also mentioned problems.
Hello PaperPrincess, I have been in contact with them a few times and have tried out their suggestions. They are interested in knowing what my solution is. They told me that another Babylock retailer stated they had the same kinds of issue using batik fabrics, but since I did not want to start over from scratch, I tried changing out the backing fabric from batik to cotton....still having issues. I'm going to wash some fabric today and give it a go. One way or the other I am determined to find a solution, although at this rate I may not be able to finish the sample in time for the AQS show where the shop wants to display it. :-( Thank you for your time!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 AM

I think that the batik fabrics are the issue....when quilting batik fabrics I was told to up the size of the needle and slow down stitching speed, and place the thread further away from the needle - on a single spool stand behind the machine. Batiks are so beautiful - but they can be a needle killer...needles soon lose their "sharpness" very quickly.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by SassyCrab View Post
Hi Kristi, I have been changing the Microtex 90/14 needle every 1 and a half blocks or so. I switched to those after the first two blocks when Hoopsisters customer service recommended them. Is anyone at your shop using batik fabric to make their blocks? My quilt shop says that they have made hoop sisters designs before with batiks and didn't have the issue. I would be interested to see how others using batiks are faring. thank you for your time!
I believe one of the students is using batik, and I don't recall anyone else experiencing the same problem that I had. But since we've only met twice so far, and I was paying more attention to my own problems than anyone else's I can't really be sure.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:13 PM

I have an Ellisimo and when I had thread shreading, I found that lowering the embroidery foot height (the last item on page 6 under the notebook paper icon) fixed the problem.