Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems spraying starch?  Bottle? >

Problems spraying starch? Bottle?

Problems spraying starch? Bottle?

Old 07-09-2016, 07:44 AM

I use a couple small bottles I got from the dollar bin. Love them. But, when empty I flush out the nozzles in hot water so there is no residue. I use one of them for a glue/water mixture I use for other projects and it works fine - even with a glue mix. Only difference is that I empty that one with every project, no long term storage.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:54 AM
mac

Thanks, Kitsie. I haven't seen this before, but you can believe that I'll be looking for it now. LOL. I love to starch my fabric as I use it and the Niagra in the spray can just doesn't do a great job and gums up the iron after awhile.

Thanks, again, for the information.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 AM

That's the bottle I've been using for a year or more and never had a problem until recently. WELL, DUH!! Maybe if I take the nozzle out and rinse it well after each days use, it will be just fine. Was it? YES, OF COURSE.

Sometimes I amaze myself! But you all led me to the solution so many, many thanks!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Hi All,

I'm confused, are you using a powdered starch? What brand and where do you get it?
I used to use a powdered starch years ago, but haven't seen in years, I have even forgotten the brand I used. Now I just use Niagra from the dollar store. It is not as good, but it is all I've seen.
Thanks in advance.
the niagra powdered starch you have to cook, cool down and dilute. The stay flo is already processed, you just dilute to what you want (the directions are on the lable) https://www.amazon.com/Purex-Sta-Flo...tay+flo+starch

Last edited by Jane Quilter; 07-09-2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I can still buy powdered starch at the local grocery store. You have to boil it. I keep a few boxes so my grands will know what it is and how to make it. Same with laundry bluing. Anyone still use that? I do.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 AM

I got a bottle at a beauty supply store - Sally's if you have one. It is meant for misting with hair spray and water and is very fine mist. It was very inexpensive. I love the way to dispenses Best Press too. It sure makes that go further.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:43 PM

The best mist sprayer I have found is one I bought at the beauty salon. They mist hair all the time. Wasn't too expensive either. It puts out mist, not drops. A sprayer to mist plants and vegetables sounds good too.

I also use the bottle from Best Press and fill it with Sta Flo: one part starch to five parts water. Works wonderfully. I also found out that my grocery store no longer carries Sta Flo. Walmart has it and maybe Target. Or you can get it online.