Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Punch needlework or rug making?

Anyone know anything about punch needlework, I bought a kit, and even took it back to the store for instruction and THEY COULDN'T FIGURE IT OUT EITHER!!! So now I'm trying to learn quilting, machine embroidery and punch needlework???? HAVE I LOST MY MIND? probably but that's ok, it keeps me off the streets.

Blog Entries
    I've done some punch needle embroidery, what exactly are you having trouble with?

Banned
    i did needle punch years ago. it was called pretty punch back then

Banned
    i did those too. fun til they got expensive and i learned to crochet :roll:

I started punch needling this fall and (no pun intended) am hooked. You need the special punch needle. The floss gets threaded through the middle of that. I'd google it.
    lots2do

Blog Entries
    Here is a list of video tutorials on YouTube :D:D:D

If you are on dial up, can you go to a friends or the library where there is high speed?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=1&oq=punch+ne

Quote Originally Posted by Constance
    Anyone know anything about punch needlework, I bought a kit, and even took it back to the store for instruction and THEY COULDN'T FIGURE IT OUT EITHER!!! So now I'm trying to learn quilting, machine embroidery and punch needlework???? HAVE I LOST MY MIND? probably but that's ok, it keeps me off the streets.
    ohhhh just about everything from threading to punching in too hard, too long, too short, tooooooooooo WHATEVER....am I ever going to be a REAL LIVE QUILTER with the patience of a stick??? Not really, I've had patience as a teacher all my life, as a mother, a wife, etc.......you'd think I'd have gotten the hang of it by now, right?? Maybe it is just because I got this thing before Thanksgiving, and the holidays from Thanksgiving on are JUST TOO SAD and sappy for me, because I remember when we all got together and we don't anymore, and OHHH BOY. I'll get over it, I swear..... THANK YOU FOR ALL THIS INFO, I will check it out.

Constance

Hang in there - Holidays are always a bad time when things in our lives aren't going as we would like.
    just ask me I know - this has been a very bad year for me and more to come in 2010.

God willing we will all get through the bad times.

Scrap Quilter

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Here is a list of video tutorials on YouTube :D:D:D

If you are on dial up, can you go to a friends or the library where there is high speed?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=1&oq=punch+ne
    WOW THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH, I watched several videos, especially on threading the punch needle for both the rug kits and the embroidery kits and I watched the demonstrations too and I will keep watching until I can master this, but at least I could visibly see what they were doing and how they did it. Sometimes books and illustrations just don't cut it so to speak, I didn't mean to do that little cut play on words, but people tell me I do it all the time without realizing it, not sure where that came from, anyway, THANK YOU for these great videos.
    Connie

I do punch needle. I haven't done any in a while, but I LOVE it! I made the mistake of too many punches. It looks better on the back (flat) side and wants to bow instead of lying flat. It wouldn't bow if I put it in a hoop or project, but it still would've looked better without so many stitches.
    Make sure you have the woven fabric. It will pull out of regular muslin.

Some of the needles have different settings to make the loops bigger or smaller. I usually use a medium setting. I can't remember what number. It's been a while since I've "punched".