Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Purchasing quilt "patterns"....?

What is usually included with a quilt related "pattern"?

Is it like a sewing pattern - with all the squares and triangles (or whatever) printed on tissue paper? Then I pin that to fabric and cut them out?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Beth33

Is it like a sewing pattern - with all the squares and triangles (or whatever) printed on tissue paper? Then I pin that to fabric and cut them out?

Thx
    No it's printed step-by-step instructions, pictures and maybe templates you can copy and use.
    I used to buy alot of patterns and they really helped me learn the process. (In fact I just bought one here at the Board).
    But after a while you pretty much know how to make all the blocks that you like, so patterns aren't needed then.

Beth,
    Patterns are different, usually no tissue paper involved. If you look at quilterscache or McCall's quick quilts online you can see that most will give the measurements for blocks, rectangles, etc to be sewn together to form the block.
    The patterns (instructions) will take you through making the block step by step.
    Take a look at some of the quilt magazines in the stores.
    Applique blocks are printed on regular paper. I find many that have to be resized and that is really frustrating for me.
    Look at the tutorial section here, there are some quilt patterns.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth33

Thx
    No it's printed step-by-step instructions, pictures and maybe templates you can copy and use.
    I used to buy alot of patterns and they really helped me learn the process. (In fact I just bought one here at the Board).
    But after a while you pretty much know how to make all the blocks that you like, so patterns aren't needed then.
    good info

The only quilt patterns I've seen that are on paper are paper pieced blocks. This is a method where the sections of a block are drawn on the paper and then numbers are added to indicate the order in which to add fabric to the pieces. Not a good explanation, sorry. Try searching for Paper Piecing under the SEARCH button at the top of the Board.