Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchasing an antique quilt on Ebay >

Purchasing an antique quilt on Ebay

Purchasing an antique quilt on Ebay

Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Hey everyone, I know most or all of us are quilters, but I am ready to buy an antique quilt. I love vintage and really want a piece from the past. Has anyone ever bought a quilt on Ebay? I'm pretty certain the one I fell in love with is truely a 1930's, but I've heard some rotton things about scams and stuff. What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM

I have bought several tops and have been more than happy with all of them, altho I did not buy expensive ones. If you don't think there are enough photos to make a good call, then ask the seller to post more. Usually, they take a picture of every little flaw or bit of damage so you can see what you are getting.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM

I've gotten lots of "vintage" quilt blocks and thing on Ebay. Check out the Seller and the feedback people have given. Ask the Seller all the questions you can think of. This could be a big investment for you. I've had very good luck on Ebay. Good Luck to you. Post Pics if you purchase it.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 PM

i also shop from e-bay and have always had good luck,
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

I have bought (and sold) alot of things on Ebay. Just be sure to read everything on the listing, especially the feedbacks.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 PM

I have purchased some vintage quilts on ebay. But it is difficult to really know what you are getting, until it actually arrives in your mailbox. You also have the added cost of the postage. Many vendors want you to be happy with your purchase, but some specify no returns. Good communication is the key. Sometimes things are left out in the description, and you won't find out what that is until you are actually holding the piece. I would ask if there are any "issues" with the quilt. Smells, holes, stains, from a pet or smoke free home, any history on the quilt. Is it dated or signed? Can they send more pictures of the quilt. Is it laid out on a flat surface you you can see the whole thing, or is it hung on a hook (may be hiding something)? Is it hand quilted, machine quilted, or tied? These all affect the value of the quilt.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeanequilts
I have purchased some vintage quilts on ebay. But it is difficult to really know what you are getting, until it actually arrives in your mailbox. You also have the added cost of the postage. Many vendors want you to be happy with your purchase, but some specify no returns. Good communication is the key. Sometimes things are left out in the description, and you won't find out what that is until you are actually holding the piece. I would ask if there are any "issues" with the quilt. Smells, holes, stains, from a pet or smoke free home, any history on the quilt. Is it dated or signed? Can they send more pictures of the quilt. Is it laid out on a flat surface you you can see the whole thing, or is it hung on a hook (may be hiding something)? Is it hand quilted, machine quilted, or tied? These all affect the value of the quilt.

The above is good advice. Also, have them send close ups of the quilt and stitches and the # of stitches per inch.. Ask about the batting, has it split, is it bearding; have there been repairs, is it for show or use, is any of the fabric thin? Ask lots of questions. Look at the sellers feedback.

I have bought several quilts off ebay, I generally give them as gifts. They have the best deals around. But remember people lie.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I have never bought a quilt from Ebay but I bought lots of other things and had very good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Buy all my quilt tops from ebay, have only had one bad experience , the piecing was APPALLING, so demanded my money back and got it.
The only problem with buying is the whopping postage, particularly if quilt is heavy---------good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
Hey everyone, I know most or all of us are quilters, but I am ready to buy an antique quilt. I love vintage and really want a piece from the past. Has anyone ever bought a quilt on Ebay? I'm pretty certain the one I fell in love with is truely a 1930's, but I've heard some rotton things about scams and stuff. What do you guys think?
Haven't bought any recently but 2-3 years ago I got some nice quilts, a couple of vintage tops & t.o.c. blocks. Haven't done a thing with the tops/blocks - so watch out for collecting MORE UFOs !! LOL but I love the history in them
Ask for more photos, most will be glad to send. If not, don't buy! Some sellers list "antique" or vintage but don't have ANY idea what they truly are -
MOST important - check Feedback !! :)