Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: purple thing

About 2 years ago when I took my first qulting class, the teacher had a tool that she used to turn the stockings we made. She said it was called simply, "the purple thing." If I remember correctly, it was about the length of a crochet hook and had a flat end. The teacher said she used it lots for making corners pointy. The local quilt store used to carry them but no longer, and now my DIL wants one for Christmas. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or where I could get one? I swear, I haven't been drinking, although it has been tempting the last couple days. Thanks in advance.
    Julie

Julie,

I think the real name for it is called The purple Thang. I would check Nancy's notions, Clotilde, or connecting threads. One of them should carry them.

Debbie

http://www.roserushbrooke.com/that-purple-thang.html
    That Purple Thang

Yep, I have that purple Thang. Forgot where I got it. Maybe Clotilde or Keepsake Quilting carries them. Marge

I have one too, and it really is a useful little tool. It has a 1/4" on the flat end. Nifty notion!

Helen

Ok, I'm curious. I saw the "thang" via the website listed in the response above...and what exactly do you do with it? If it's useful I'll get one for my friend as a stocking stuffer. Thanks

I use the 1/4" end for measuring, for holding fabric in place (like a stiletto without the sharp point), for turning fabric when 2 pieces are stitched together, to remove freezer paper from applique, to help push things in place while appliqueing or just plain sewing, and to help make square miters. Those are the things that immediately jump to mind. I'm sure I've used it for other things, but think I need more coffee to really kick start my brain!

Helen

http://www.roserushbrooke.com/that-purple-thang.html

wow! thanks for this! great gift for my quilting buddies!

off to order!

Think I need a thang or 2 myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast